Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction for those aged over Pension Age
How do Pension Credits affect my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?
If you receive Pension Credits the Pension Service will tell us about your income and savings, which they call your Assessed Income and we will use this information to work out your Housing Benefit and /or Council Tax Reduction. If you have any income not included in this assessment you will need to let us know.
If you are getting pension credit and your income changes you should tell the Pension Service.
Other changes that you have to tell Wealden District Council about are:
- changes to your tenancy
- periods away from home for more than 13 weeks
- changes affecting the income or family circumstances of anyone else who lives with you apart from your partner
- changes to any income such as earnings, or capital not included in the Pension Credit calculation of Assessed Income and, if you are receiving Savings Credit only, you must tell us if your capital exceeds £16000
How do I apply for Pension Credit?
Applications for Pension Credit can also be made by phoning the Pension Credit Helpline on 0800 991234.
Further help and advice
- Pension Credit (external link)
- State Retirement Pensions (external link)
- Winter and Fuel Payment (external link)
- Cold Weather Payments (external link)