What if I live with my son/daughter who is over 18 and I still get child benefit for them.
If you have a son or daughter at home, who is 18 or over and still receives child benefit they will be ignored or "disregarded" when we calculate the council tax bill. You will get a discount until the child benefit ends.
If the young person is also a school or college leaver, they will be disregarded after they leave, until 1st November that year.
If you think that you might be entitled to this discount please print a 18 year olds qualifying of child benefit discount application form (pdf) and send it to us.
Related FAQs and Information
- What if I live on my own?
- What if I am (or someone living with me) is a student?
- What if I am (or someone living with me) is an apprentice?
- What if I live with another adult who is on a low income?
- What if I am (or someone that lived with me is) now a resident in a care home or hospital?
- What if I suffer (or someone I live with suffers) from a severe mental disorder or impairment?
- What if I am disabled and my property has been altered to meet my needs?
- What if my property has an annexe that is lived in by a dependant relative?
- What if I am (or someone that I live with is) a carer or care worker?
- What if I am (or someone I lived with is) now in prison?
- What if my property is occupied only by people aged under 18?
- What if my property is only occupied by members of a religious community?
- What if my property is occupied by armed forces personnel?
- What if my property is occupied by visiting forces personnel?
- What if I live in accomodation that's related to my job?
- What if I am (or someone that I live with is) a diplomat or has diplomatic immunity?