Wealden District Council

Animal Boarding

Licence Summary

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a Licence from your Local Authority. The number of animals that may be accommodated will be specified on the Licence along with other specific conditions.

We may authorise an Officer, Veterinary Surgeon or Practitioner to inspect Licensed Premises.

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • Keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • Owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

Conditions based on the Chartered Institute of the Environmental Health's standard model conditions will be attached to your licence during the application process.

View the CIEH Model Conditions and Guidance for Cat Boarding Establishments (external link)

View the CIEH Model Conditions and Guidance for Dog Boarding Establishments (external link)

These Licence Conditions have been revised and updated (2013 2016). They reflect the legal and animal welfare considerations relevant to animal boarding. Inspectors will consider these conditions and may make recommendations for the licensing of such boarding establishments.

New build constructions at established establishments and new build applications must comply to these Model Licence Conditions in order to be licensed under the relevant Acts.

Application Process and Fee

The fee for this licence is £185 plus any actual vet costs if required.

For the majority of applications/renewals a veterinary inspection is not required. However, if a veterinary inspection is required, the costs are payable by the applicant/licence holder.  The Council will pay the veterinary practice and then we will invoice you separately to recover the costs.

For new applications only, applicants may pay 5% less when making an application. If you do, you would then be invoiced for this amount plus £20 for the additional administration cost, when the licence has been issued.

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a Local Authority Officer, Veterinary Surgeon or Practitioner.

Tacit Consent

Tacit Consent does not apply to Animal Boarding Licences.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from the us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online, if you applied through the UK Welcomes Service, or use the contact details below.

How to Apply

You can apply for an Animal Boarding Licence in two ways:

Please do not use the above forms if you are a home boarder. We have a different form for home boarders and a reduced fee. Please visit our Home Animal Boarding for full details.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked Gov.uk can offer advice on Consumer Direct (external link).

Contact Rother and Wealden Environmental Health Service