Wealden District Council

Dual Driver Application Process

Applying for Dual Driver Licences may take up to 9/12 weeks to determine as we are dependent on responses from external bodies. In certain circumstances it may be necessary to consult with the Council's medical consultant in which case applications may take longer.

If you decide you would like to apply to become a Dual Driver, you must contact the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) before you contact us.

Please contact the DBS on 03000 200 190 and request an Enhanced Disclosure. You will need to supply our organisation reference number which is 20969500002.

The DBS will then send you a partially completed application form and when you receive this form you need to email wealdentaxis@rother.gov.uk and request an appointment with one of our Licensing Officers.

You will need to bring the following to your appointment:

  • Your partially completed application form from the DBS
  • A cheque for £55 for the DBS Enhanced Disclosure and cheques for the DBS must be made payable to Rother District Council
  • Your driving licence (both the photo card and paper counterpart)
  • Your current passport
  • A household utility bill not more than 3 months old
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Full address history for the last five years
  • A passport sized photograph
  • Details of any licences held with other Local Authorities
  • Details of any criminal and motoring offences (including cautions and convictions, spent convictions and any pending prosecutions
  • A completed Dual Driver Application Form (pdf)
  • The correct fee for the application. Please see our Application and Fees page to see our application fees. You can pay this fee by cash, card or cheque and cheques for the application fee must be made payable to Wealden District Council.
  • If you have been resident outside of the UK for more than six months in the past five years you must also provide a Certificate of Good Conduct/Character which you may obtain from the UK Embassy/Consulate for the relevant country or countries.

    If you have spent six continuous months or more overseas, we will expect to see evidence of a criminal record check from the country/countries covering the period before a licence application can be made. This period will be for ten years. This is because we are considering some offences that are not spent for ten years.

    After your appointment you will also need to undergo a medical and send us Dual Driver Medical Report Form (pdf) completed by your GP before we will issue your licence. You will also need to pass our Knowledge Test and the DVLA's Private Hire Driving Assessment test.

    To be a licensed driver you must be a fit and proper person. If you are abrupt or aggressive when talking to Council staff, this may prevent us, approving your application.

    Incomplete applications or applications not accompanied by the required fee will not be accepted.

    Applications which are withdrawn for any reason will be subject to an administrative handling fee

    Contact Details