Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Council  >  Councillors and Committees  >  Ask the Leader  >  Ask the Leader

Ask the Leader

The Leader of Wealden District Council is Councillor Bob Standley. He will be pleased to answer any question you may have about Wealden District Council's policies, or other matters involving the Council, which you think are of interest to people living, working or visiting Wealden.

To ask your question, please use our or Ask the Leader - Submit a Question Form

Councillor Standley is the Conservative Leader of the Cabinet of Wealden District Council and has represented Wadhurst since 2004.

Specific inquiries about particular services such as planning applications, licensing or accommodation can be reported online. Please use our 'directory of tasks on online services' to find the appropriate form. You can also email info@wealden.gov.uk.

We will try to respond within ten working days of receiving your question and your question and the Leader's reply will then be posted on the website. Please provide your name, we don't need your address. If we think the question is inappropriate for publication we will contact you by email to say why.

For information on any of the Ask The Leader questions listed please contact our Communications Officer on pr@wealden.gov.uk.

Search Ask the Leader

(Hold down the 'Ctrl' key to select multiple categories)

The latest Ask the Leader questions and answers are shown below. To view more questions and answers, use the search above, or the 'In this Section' menu.

Missed Garden Waste collection


The proposed charge for garden waste collection from July 2019 necessitates a commitment from your contractors and Wealden to actually collect the waste as scheduled. Unfortunately the present arrangement has resulted in approximately 50% of our collections being missed and left until the next collection date a fortnight later. This leaves unsightly bins beside the road for two weeks as per Wealden instructions.

Roger Saunders



Dear Mr Saunders,
I have made enquiries on your behalf. We have had several reports of missed garden waste bins from both you and your neighbour up to early November. I apologise on behalf of the Council for the failure of our contractor, Kier, to ensure your garden waste is collected regularly. We will be contacting the round supervisor to ensure future collections take place as scheduled.

From next July, we will have a new waste contractor and be operating a chargeable service. We are expecting a much-improved collection performance and a
return to a level we and our customers expect.

Please continue to report any missed bin collections online through My Wealden https://my.wealden.gov.uk/ . It is an important help in monitoring the service we are getting from our contractors.


Bob Standley

Missed bin collection


Waste Collection: I have asked this question to you on numerous occasions over the past year, YOU HAVE NOT COLLECTED MY BIN AGAIN!! When will you provide the service I pay you for? Why after so many missed bins and my requests for proper compensation you cannot force your contractor to pay up for my time spent in chasing you to collect my bin? Why are you so incompetent? How can you expect residents to have faith in you and re-elect someone who has no or little control over sub-contractors?

Richard Gregory


Dear Mr Gregory,
Apologies for the missed bin. Whilst there were problems over the summer, Kier - our contractor - has improved its performance of late and collect over 99.5% of bins on time. Kier’s performance over the term of the contract has been variable which is the reason the Councils involved in the contract, Eastbourne, Hastings, Rother and Wealden, have terminated the contract early. A new contractor starts next summer.
I am informed your bin has now been collected. I am unclear why the bin was missed. I am aware there have been some access issues in the past but there have been no reports of missed bins from neighbouring properties. I would ask you to continue to report any missed collections which is a straightforward process online, via MyWealden https://my.wealden.gov.uk/. This allows the Council to raise the matter with Kier and raise a default notice if appropriate.
Bob Standley

For information on any of the Ask The Leader questions listed please contact our Communications Officer on pr@wealden.gov.uk.