Wealden District Council

Drainage and Sewers

Public Sewers

Southern Water Services Ltd are responsible for the maintenance of the public sewer system. If a blockage or defect occurs it would be their responsibility to arrange clearance or repair.

Property owners connected to the public sewer pay charges to Southern Water for collection and disposal of their domestic drainage.

For wastewater enquires telephone 0845 278 0845 or visit Southern Water's website (external link).

How to view the record maps for public sewers

The Council holds copies of the record maps provided by Southern Water indicating the location of public sewers in the Wealden Area. These are available for viewing at the Wealden District Council Offices, Vicarage lane, Hailsham, East Sussex, Bn27 2AX between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.  Please use the contact details below to arrange an appointment to inspect the plans. These plans are also available at the offices of Southern Water.

Private Drains

Private drains are those which have not been adopted by Southern Water and are the responsibility of the owner or occupier of the buildings that the drain serves. This means that if you live in a property served by a private drain before it enters the public sewer, it is your responsibility to clear the blocked or defective section of drain and to repair and maintain it.

Local Flood Risk Management Strategy

East Sussex County Council has new responsibilities to manage the impact and risk of flooding in the county. The Local Flood Risk Management Strategy (external link) sets out how we plan to manage local flood risk, as required by the government's Flood and Water Management Act 2010.

Contact Rother and Wealden Environmental Health Service