Severe weather warnings are issued by the Met Office when severe weather is expected to cause disruption to traffic etc. over a specified period of time. They are broadcast on both TV and radio, they are also published on the Met Office web site.
This policy sets out the priorities for salting, gritting and snow clearing when conditions of ice and snow demand.
East Sussex County Council Winter Maintenance Policy
Flood warnings are issued by the Environment Agency.
There are three types of warnings
- Flood Alert - Flooding possible. Be prepared!
- Flood Warning - Flooding expected. Immediate action required!
- Severe Flood Warning - Severe flooding expected. Danger to life
Warnings no longer in force - No further flooding is currently expected
You can get flood warnings for your area direct to your telephone, mobile, email, SMS text message or fax.
This is a free service provided by the Environment Agency. You can sign up on their web site or by calling Floodline on 0845 988 1188
Sandbags in emergencies
- Wealden District Council can provide sandbags during flooding emergencies although this is not an obligation.
- Our policy is to provide sandbags free of charge during flooding emergencies (e.g. when your premises is actually under threat of flooding) to both domestic and commercial premises, subject to the availability of resources. (As an alternative to sandbags, plastic bags or similar, can be filled with sand or earth and used effectively to protect against floodwater.)
How to Request Sandbags in an emergency
During Office Hours: 01323 443322
Out of Office Hours: 01323 644422 or 410051
Sandbags during non-emergency times
In non-emergency situations (e.g. preparing for a possible flood) the Council would not provide sandbags. These can be purchased from most local builders merchants.
For the status of Flood Warning Areas and rivers in the District go to:
Once on the page you can use the drop downs to search by River, Town or Post Code.
Flood Information and Advice
You can find out if you are in an area at risk of flooding, and how to get flood warnings if you are, by visiting Environment Agency - Am I At Risk Of Flooding? (external link)
The Environment Agency has produced guides providing information on how to protect your property or business from flooding and what to do if you are affected. All are available from Environment Agency - How can I be prepared? (external link) or by telephone order to Floodline 0845 988 1188.