Hate crime should be reported not ignored. Hate crime comes in many different forms:
- physical abuse - Spitting, punching, kicking, slapping, pushing or behaviour which leads to physical injury.
- threats - Words of a threatening nature, for example "I'm going to beat you up," or "I'm going to get you and your family" etc.
- verbal abuse - Racist name calling, swearing etc.
- sexual abuse - This can be abuse including degradation, rape, assault, etc.
- written/printed abuse - Letters by post, leaflets or posters using racist language, abusive text messages etc.
- graffiti/Racist language or images - written/drawn onto property.
- attacks on property/home - Eggs/stones thrown at property, tyres slashed, windows broken etc.
- harassment -persistent intimidating or threatening behaviour which is spread over a period of time.
- bullying - face to face or electronic, physical or verbal abuse
If you have been a victim of a hate incident or hate crime in East Sussex you should report your incident to Sussex Police on 0845 6070 999 or dial 999 in an emergency.