Keep in touch – sign up for service alerts and our regular Wealden e-newsletter

Money, Employment and Life

The Council continues to work in partnership to promote the social, environmental and economic well being of its tenants.


From April 2014 Wealden District Council are joining up with Eastbourne Homes to provide free courses to local residents as part of the Street Learning initiative.  All of the courses are available to all residents of Wealden and Eastbourne aged over 19 regardless of where they are being held. The initiative will initially start in Eastbourne and Hailsham but will be rolled out across Wealden in due course.

The courses will run quarterly starting April to June 2014. More details about the project and how to book yourself onto a course can be found on our Street Learning page.


We have developed good working links with Job Centre Plus to enable people to access their services if they are unemployed or about to be made redundant. To find out more about their services which are vast, visit the jobseekers website (external link).

From 15th January 2014 a JobCentre Plus advisor will be coming to the council offices in Hailsham on a Wednesday morning between 9.00am and 1.00pm. There is no need to book an appointment so you can just turn up on the day in the public access area.

They can help with:

  • Jobsearch
  • Advice about application forms
  • Work experience
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Information about other organisations that can help to provide CV's
  • Interview techniques, other support and training etc.

The Council were part of a successful East Sussex bid to Government to help unemployed local people gain work experience. For more detail please read our Future Jobs Funds briefing note (pdf).

We have also developed a working relationship with a local charity called NewCEP who help unemployed people back into employment, training and/or volunteering. They are based at Newhaven but have a local office at Hailsham and provide outreach across Wealden. To contact them to find out more about how they can help you call 01273 516347.


Are you paying too much for your Gas and/or Electricity? If you are on a low income you may be paying too more for your utility bills. Read more or call your utility provider and ask them about their social tariffs (pdf).

Our "Making the Most of your Money" booklet (pdf) contains lots of useful information to help you maximise your income and minimise your outgoings.

Your budget planner (pdf)

Are you spending more money than you get? It is easily done, especially if you don't keep
an eye on what comes in and goes out. Use this budget planner to help keep your finances on track.


Are you paying too much for your contents insurance? The Council has worked to provide a special rate for Council Tenants with Jardine Lloyd Thompson.

Welcome to our new look website

We hope you like our new look site and find it easier to use. Please tell us what you think by using the Website Feedback form, which you can find at the bottom of each page.

Continue to the site »

(or press ESC)

Contact the Council


Contact Us:

Find Us:

Follow Us: