If you are homeless, or think that you may be threatened with homelessness please contact Housing Options team immediately on 01323 443380 and ask for the one of our Housing Options Officers - you are entitled to free advice.
Am I Homeless?
The definition of homeless, set out in the Housing Act 1996, states that you are homeless if:
- You have no accommodation in the UK or elsewhere
- You have a home but cannot gain entry
- Your home is a boat, mobile home or caravan and you have nowhere to moor or park
- You have nowhere you can live together with all your family
- You have somewhere to stay, but it is unreasonable for you to continue to stay there e.g. domestic abuse or poor conditions
Am I in priority need?
Before you are entitled to any accommodation as a homeless person, you must also be in 'priority need', for example:
- You have a dependent child who is residing with you
- You or a member of your household is pregnant
- Your household includes a person who may be vulnerable because of old age, mental illness, physical disability or some other special reason
- You are homeless as a result of an emergency such as flood, fire or other disaster
Following completion of the assessment of your Homelessness application, a Housing Options Officer will explore the number of options available to you to meet your housing needs. Some assistance can be available to those who do not qualify for a full housing responsibility. Contact the Housing Options Team for further information.
Wealden District Council, Eastbourne Borough Council and the YMCA have produced a DVD which includes information about youth homelessness and interviews with young people who have experienced real homeless situations, some of whom were living in temporary accommodation when interviewed. The DVD shows that homelessness amongst young people is really a last resort and not an option.
For full details of the Council's Legal Duties or if you require Housing Advice please contact a member of the Housing Options Team using the contact details at the bottom of this page or write to us at the Hailsham Offices.
If you have an emergency when the offices are closed contact Lifeline, our 24 hour response service on 01323 644422.
Other useful websites
- Communities and Local Government - Housing (external link)
- Shelter - Advice (external link)
- Crisis Homeless Services for Single People (external link)
- Refuge - Get Help Now (external link)
Contact the Housing Options Team
For housing advice and options, contact one of the Housing Options team using the contact details below.
Contact Form: Contact the Housing Options Team
Telephone: 01323 443380 or 01323 443322
Fax: 01323 443349
Wealden District Council,