East Sussex Building Control Partnership
The Building Control Services of Wealden District Council and Eastbourne Borough Council formed a partnership in April 2011 to provide a shared service throughout both Authorities.
This is known as East Sussex Building Control Partnership. The principal partner is Wealden, with the service being based at the Council Offices in Hailsham. From 1st April 2017 the partnership will be extended to include the districts of Rother District Council and Hastings Borough Council. The service can be contacted for information and impartial advice on any building work on 01892 602005.
The Building Control Service amongst other things administers the Building Regulations by the passing of plans and checking of building works on site.
We are able to provide you with the following invaluable information;
- Free pre-application advice on building works
- Local knowledge
- Same day inspections for current building works applications
- Technically experienced professional team
- Local Acts and Legislation (external link)
In Wealden the Building Control Service also deals with:
- Dangerous Structures
- Disability Access
- Structural Design
- Building over Sewers - Drainage
What buildings do the Building Regulations apply to?
Apart from electrical safety (domestic only), the regulations apply to all types of buildings, ie offices, shops, houses, public assemblies, leisure facilities, public houses, restaurants etc.
There are however minor exemptions in relation to certain domestic structures (always check with the Building Control Authority if you are in any doubt).
You can do this either by submitting a Full Plans or Building Notice application, or a Regularisation Certificate.
How do I apply for Building Regulations Approval?
There are three options available for submitting an application;
- Online via Wealden's Building Portal (external link) for all application types. To help you get started please view the Building Portal Guidance user notes (pdf);
- Complete hard copies via the postal system; or
- Email a complete copy of the application and all relevant documents in pdf version to email@example.com
Payment for Building Regulations applications can either be done by cheque and posted/delivered to the Council offices, or alternatively payment can be taken over the telephone by calling 01323 443322.
The Building Control service for the districts of Wealden, Eastbourne, Rother and Hastings are operated by Wealden District Council by the extended East Sussex Building Control Partnership. Fees from 1st April 2017 (pdf).
This Charter sets out the standards of service which customers can expect from Wealden's Building Control service.