How do I make a planning application?
There are two ways to submit an application:
This can be done via the Planning Portal. Payment for registered applications can be done via Wealden District Council's secure web pages.
Complete and submit an application to the Council Offices
You will need appropriate application forms and drawings/plans and you may need or benefit from professional help and advice. To understand the process that an application goes through view our document, 'The Life of A Planning Application (pdf)'.
Forms for all types of applications are available to download. Unless you are familiar with the planning system, you are advised to employ the services of an agent, who will complete the relevant forms for you and draw up the necessary plans. Please note: You may also require Listed Building Consent and/or Building Regulations approval.
For all applications two copies of all forms and plans are required to assist with the statutory consultations that need to be done. The following plans are required:
- a location plan (at 1:2500 scale)*. The Council is unable to provide Ordnance Survey mapping but has produced an information sheet giving details of Ordnance Survey Mapping and Data Centres (pdf) giving details of Ordnance Survey Mapping and Data Centres.
- a block plan (usually 1:500 scale)*
- floor plans and elevations
* Alternatively, site plans and block plans can be obtained via the Planning Portal (external link).
Many applications submitted are unfortunately 'incomplete' for one reason or another. You are advised to have particular regard to the following checklist prior to submitting an application:
- have you included two copies of all plans?
- have you submitted the correct fee?
- have you signed both the application and land ownership forms?
- have you shown the application site and means of access to the highway by means of a red line on the plans?
- have you shown any other land you may own by means of a blue line on the plans?
Other helpful guidance into submitting a planning application
Further information which will assist in the development of any proposed scheme.
Design and Access Statements (pdf) - produced by Wealden District Council
Design and Access Statements - How to write, read and use them (pdf) - document produced by CABE - the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment
If you have any questions about submitting your application, contact our Technical Team on 01892 602010.