Keep in touch – sign up for service alerts and our regular Wealden e-newsletter

Planning Enforcement

What is Planning Enforcement?

Whilst it is not a criminal offence to carry out development without first obtaining planning permission, this is a contravention of planning laws and the District Council has powers to enforce those laws. The Council has a Strategy (pdf) for dealing with potential Enforcement cases.

How is this achieved?

By the serving of:

  • Enforcement Notices - requiring the contravention to be remedied.
  • Stop Notices - requiring immediate cessation of the contravention.
  • Breach of Condition Notices - served when conditions attached to planning permission are being ignored.

What happens next?

Contraveners can appeal against an Enforcement Notice to the Planning Inspectorate (external link).

If an Enforcement Notice is upheld it must be complied with within a specified period. Non-compliance does then become a criminal offence which may result in the offender being taken to Court.

The maximum fine for non-compliance of a valid Enforcement Notice is £20,000.

Contact us if you think that development is proceeding without the benefit of planning permission or that conditions imposed on a planning permission are being breached.

We will usually visit a complaint site and inform you what, if anything, can be done within 4 weeks of the receipt of your complaint.

Planning Enforcement Officers cover the following Towns/Parishes within Wealden
Niall Mileman Michael Searle Jo Denton
Buxted Chiddingly Alciston
Crowborough East Hoathly Arlington
Danehill Framfield Berwick
Fletching Hadlow Down Chalvington with Ripe
Forest Row Heathfield and Waldron Hailsham
Frant Horam Hellingly
Hartfield Isfield Herstmonceux
Maresfield Laughton Hooe
Rotherfield Little Horsted Long Man
Withyham Mayfield  Ninfield
Uckfield Pevensey
Wadhurst Polegate
Willingdon and Jevington

Management Structure Chart for the Planning and Environmental Service (pdf)

Contact Planning Enforcement

Welcome to our new look website

We hope you like our new look site and find it easier to use. Please tell us what you think by using the Website Feedback form, which you can find at the bottom of each page.

Continue to the site »

(or press ESC)

Contact the Council


Contact Us:

Find Us:

Follow Us: