Each household is issued with:
A blue-handled caddy
The blue-handled caddy is for recycling paper.
A red-handled caddy
A 240 litre green waste bin
A 240 litre bin for green waste/cardboard.
A 240 litre bin
A 240 litre bin for waste i.e. the remaining rubbish not suitable for recycling.
About the Collection Service
This is an alternate weekly collection service which means that, one week the waste bin is collected with the red-handled caddy and the following week the bin for green waste is collected with the blue-handled caddy.
The caddies are designed to fit inside the bins providing several benefits to both the residents and the Council. The blue-handled caddy is placed inside the green waste bin and the red-handled caddy is placed inside the waste bin for collection. The benefits of this scheme are;
- the collection crew only need to make one trip to each property to collect the bin and caddy materials,
- they take up less storage space, the paper is kept dry so the caddy won't be heavier if it has rained,
- minimises litter problems,
- lowers the number of containers going missing.
The blue-handled caddies are smaller than the red-handled caddies, as the paper caddies will be the heavier of the two, when full. (Please note that residents on the initial pilot scheme in Forest Row and Danehill were provided with same sized, red and blue coloured caddies).
To ensure the bins and caddies are collected residents must,
- put the correct bin and caddy at the boundary of the property (unless an Assisted Collection has been granted) ready for collection from 6.45am onwards,
- ensure that the caddy is placed inside the bin with the lid closed.
Please note we will gladly accept any extra recycling and green waste once your containers are full. In this case please use a suitable container. Extra green waste can either be put out for collection in a cardboard box or in your waste bin (your waste being temporarily stored elsewhere).
To further assist residents in reducing their waste, Wealden in conjunction with East Sussex Council has offers on compost bins (external link).