Special collection for bulky items
If an item is at the end of its life, Wealden District Council, through its contractor Kier, provides a chargeable service for the removal of large or bulky items from domestic properties.
Other options for the removal of household items
Please carefully consider other methods of disposal before arranging a special collection, as that we cannot guarantee that items we collect will not end up being destroyed.
If you feel that someone else could make use of the item that you wish to dispose of check the list of charities that accept items for reuse (pdf) to find some ways to reuse it. Also, try checking our Recyclopaedia, an A-Z directory of information about re-using many everyday items.
Furniture, fridges, etc, can be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Site (external link) free of charge.
What we do
The Council and Kier can:
- Collect unwanted household items from domestic properties.
- Provide free quotes for the collection of more than 9 items or unusual items.
Examples of items we collect
Items that we collect include the following:
- Washing machines,
- Plastic baths,
- Lawn mowers,
- Boilers (an extra large item).
What we don't do
Unfortunately we are not able to provide the following services:
- House clearances
- Asbestos collection
- Builders' waste collection
- Flammable material collection
- Storage Heaters collection
The minimum charge for a special collection is £50.00 for 3 items. Additional items are £10.00 per item. Extra large or very heavy items may incur a greater charge, speak to one of our staff for more details.
If you would like a quote for a special collection please contact us using the contact details at the bottom of the page.
Special arrangements and requirements
Please be aware of the following guidance with regard to special collections:
- If the item to be removed is not on the list please contact us using the details below for more information.
- Items should be outside your property for collection. Our contractors are not insured to enter the property. We will only enter if we are given permission by the owner on the understanding that we are not liable for any damage to the property.
- Only items that have been agreed will be collected. Please do not ask the contractor to collect additional items.
- Doors on fridges and freezers must be taped shut.
Request a special collection
To arrange a special collection please contact us using the details below. The items are normally collected within 10 working days. Please ensure the items are outside and are accessible at all times.
We accept the following payment methods:
- Cheques and Postal Orders - made payable to "Wealden District Council"
- Credit or Debit Cards: Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Maestro (credit card payments will incur a 2% surcharge)