Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Benefits and Council Tax  >  Benefits  >  Council Tax Support  >  Council Tax Support changes

Council Tax Support changes

Local Council Tax Support scheme 2016-2017 for people of Working age. We made changes to the Local Council Tax Support Scheme for 2016-2017 for people of working age, which started on 1 April 2016. 

As you may know, the Government abolished the national Council Tax Benefit Scheme in April 2013. Since then every local authority has had to put in place its own local scheme and has to review the scheme each year. The local scheme for Wealden was first introduced from April 2013 and  remained unchanged until 1 April 2016.

Up until 1 April2016, the Council has been able to keep the impact on the level of support for people to a minimum. But due to a continued reduction in funding from Government the Council had to change the  scheme for 2016-17.

During the summer of 2015 we consulted on a number of options for changes to the scheme. Following that consultation changes were made from April 2016 and these changes will affect you. Everyone of working age who gets help with their Council Tax will saw  a reduction in the amount of support were are able to give.

The changes were:

All working age households will be expected to pay a minimum of 20% of their Council Tax.

This means you will get a bill for Council Tax and you will need to make some payments to us.

A minimum income level for people who are self-employed.

If you are full-time self-employed, and have been trading for a year or more, we will use the number of hours you have told us you work and multiply this by the national living wage.  For example if you work 35 hours a week we will assume a self employed income of £252 per week.

A maximum capital limit of £6000.

If you or your partner, together or separately, have capital, savings and investments which add up to more than £6000 you will not be entitled to any support from the scheme. You will have to pay the full amount of Council Tax for your property.