Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Benefits and Council Tax  >  Benefits  >  Council Tax Support  >  Who Can Get Council Tax Support

Who Can Get Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are on a low income and pay Council Tax.

Council Tax Support is based on the money you (and your partner) have coming in, your savings, the number and ages of people in your household and how much Council Tax you pay.

If you are under pension age (Working age) your council tax reduction will be worked out based on our Council Tax Reduction Scheme (pdf) .

Deductions are made from your income for income tax, National Insurance and half of any pension you pay into.

If you pay for childcare (from a registered childcare provider), this can be disregarded up to a maximum amount, depending on the number of children being cared for. Some state benefits are disregarded in full.

If you are under pension age (working age) and have more than £6,000 in saving you will not qualify for Council Tax support.

If you are over pension age and have more than £16,000 in savings, you will not qualify for Council Tax support unless you receive Guarantee Pension Credit. The property you live in does not count as savings however second properties or land does.

Students do not usually qualify for financial help towards council tax but there are exceptions. Contact the Benefits Service for more information.

If you have not lived in the UK for the last 2 years you will be subject to the people from abroad test.

When you use our online claim form we will provide you with a list of evidence we need when you have completed the claim. If you do not have a printer please have a pen and paper ready to note down the documents we need.

You can send us the evidence attached to an e mail to Benefits@wealden.gov.uk or you can send them to Benefits Service, Wealden District Council, Vicarage Lane, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 2AX. If you post the evidence we will need to see original documents but we will send these back to you the day we receive them.

If you are self employed we will need you to complete and return a Self Employment form (pdf)

If you pay for childcare and don't have invoices you will need to ask you childcare provider to complete and return a Childcare payment form (pdf)

Awards will usually start from the Monday after we receive your claim or the date that you first contact us to say you want to claim.

There are circumstances when we may 'backdate' your award.

If you would like us to consider your award to be backdated, you need to show that there was a good reason why you did not claim earlier.

This is an example of a "good reason" to backdate an award: You were seriously ill at the time you should have claimed and you claimed as soon as you were better. There was no-one else to help you claim.

This is an example that is not a "good reason" to backdate an award: You did not claim because you did not think you would qualify.

We will deal with each case individually and when we let you know our decision, we will tell you what to do if you disagree with it. There is a section in the application form for you to complete if you would like us to consider backdating your award.

Financial help towards Council Tax is awarded in advance and is credited to your council tax account. If an award puts your account in credit, we will usually refund this money to you.

Firstly, if you think we have worked out your benefit incorrectly or you disagree with the figures we have used, you can ask us to look at your claim again. When we tell you how much reduction you are awarded, we will give you more information about how to do this.

You can also request that your award is backdated if you disagree with the date we have made the award from. There are strict guidelines about this and you will need to show you have a good reason why you did not claim earlier.

If you are finding it difficult to pay your council tax instalments please contact the local taxation department on 01323 443385 to discuss this.

When we work out how much help you get we take into account the people who live with you, your income and capital and any rent you pay. You must therefore tell us if any of these details change. Examples of changes are:

  • You start or stop working
  • your working hours change
  • your child leaves education
  • your state benefits change
  • your private/occupational pension changes
  • some move in with you
  • someone move out
  • your rent changes
  • you move

These are not the only changes just examples. If you are unsure if you should tell us about a change then tell us anyway.

Council Tax Reduction (Support) scheme changes for 2019/20

The consultation for the Council Tax reduction scheme for 2019/2020 is now closed.  Details of the proposals can be found on the Council Tax Reduction Scheme Background Information (pdf).

The results of the consultation can be found on the Responses from Consultation Summary for 2019-20 CTR scheme (pdf)