Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Benefits and Council Tax  >  Council Tax  >  Council Tax FAQs  >  Discount or exemption for those with a severe cognitive impairment

Discount or exemption for those with a severe cognitive impairment


What if I suffer (or someone I live with suffers) from a severe cognitive disorder or impairment.


If someone that lives alone, or lives with you, is suffering from permanent severe cognitive impairment, that person will be ignored or “disregarded” for council tax purposes. This means that we won’t take that person into account when we calculate the bill and an exemption, or discount could apply.

To qualify, a doctor must confirm the date that the person began to suffer from the impairment and that the person has "a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning that appears to be permanent". We don't need to know about someone's health as we only need to know that their doctor believes a reduction in council tax should apply.

The person must be also receiving one or more of the following benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Disability Persons Tax Credit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Care Component of a Disability Living Allowance paid at the highest or middle Severe Disablement Allowance rate
  • An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
  • Income Support where the calculation includes a Disability Premium
  • Attendance Allowance
  • A State Pension where the person would have been entitled to one of the benefits above if they had not already reached retirement age

If you think that this discount or exemption could apply, please print a discount for severe mental impairment form (pdf)  and send it to us. Alternatively we will also be able to complete the application form with you over the phone, but we would need you to send us proof of the person's entitlement to one of the qualifying benefits and also a letter from their doctor confirming the medical circumstances.

Related FAQs and Information

Contact the Contact Council Tax Team