Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Benefits and Council Tax  >  Council Tax  >  Council Tax FAQs  >  Discount or exemption if a person is in prison

Discount or exemption if a person is in prison


What if I am (or someone I lived with is) now in prison?


If someone has gone into prison a discount or exemption could apply on the person's home. This depends on how many people now live there. A discount can be granted if there is now only one adult living in the property. And an exemption will apply if no one is living there.

If you think that you might be entitled to this discount you can apply online for a single person council tax discount, or please print an exemption as resident in prison form (pdf) and send it to us.

A discount or exemption cannot be granted if the person is in prison for not paying council tax.

Related FAQs and Information

Contact the Contact Council Tax Team