Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Benefits and Council Tax  >  Council Tax  >  Council Tax FAQs  >  Disregarding over 18 year olds qualifying for child benefit

Disregarding over 18 year olds qualifying for child benefit


What if I live with my son/daughter who is over 18 and I still get child benefit for them.


If you have a son or daughter at home, who is 18 or over and still receives child benefit they will be ignored or "disregarded" when we calculate the council tax bill. You will get a discount until the child benefit ends.

If the young person is also a school or college leaver, they will be disregarded after they leave, until 1st November that year.

If you think that you might be entitled to this discount please print a 18 year olds qualifying of child benefit discount application form (pdf) and send it to us.

Related FAQs and Information

Contact the Contact Council Tax Team