Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Housing, Health and Advice  >  Housing  >  Council Housing  >  Moving On  >  Moving On

Moving On

Details on how you go about ending your tenancy and transferring to another property, exchanging properties and moving to a different part of the country.

Incentives For Under-Occupiers Moving

We recognise that housing needs change and that can mean that properties can become too big. For example - children grow up and leave home which can result in a smaller family occupying a three-bedroom home.

As we have such a demand for family size properties we do offer Incentives for tenants to move to smaller properties. For further information and a leaflet explaining how this cash incentive scheme works contact the Housing Department.

Things To Remember To Do When You Move

There are many things that you must remember to do when you move to another property. Please read the following documents for information on who you need to contact regarding your move.

Please note that if you are moving into retirement living housing you need to read the retirement living document which includes information about TV licensing, water, gas and electricity. For every other type of accommodation use the Moving On Checklist.

Retirement Living

Have you ever considered Housing designed especially for people over 55 / 60 years of age?

Where can I get housing advice from?

The Council provides a housing advice service. The Housing Options team are able advise on a wide range of housing issues including the private rented sector.

Buying a home

There are a range of Government schemes to help people get on the property ladder. To find information on what is currently available visit: Help to Buy website (external link). In addition housing associations build some new homes for shared ownership if you cannot afford to by outright, this is where you buy a share sometimes as little as 25% and pay rent on the remaining share of the property. To see what is currently being developed in the district look at our latest Housing Options Newsletter.  

Different Types of Tenancy Explained

If you are moving you need to be aware that Housing Associations, The Council & Private Landlords all offer a range of different tenancy types.

Contact Housing Team