Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Housing, Health and Advice  >  Housing  >  Housing Options Advice and Homelessness  >  Housing Options  >  Housing Options - Your Housing Choices

Housing Options

The Housing Options/the choices available to you will depend upon your personal circumstances and may include the following:

Affordable Home Ownership

The Council works with Registered Providers (housing associations) to provide access to low cost home ownership for those that do not have the finances to purchase a home of their own outright.  Further detail on latest government-backed schemes for help on to the property ladder can be found at the Help to Buy website (external link).

There are also leasehold options available in Wealden for those aged 60+ including retirement living bungalows and flats offered by the council, as well as housing associations properties and private market schemes. In edition East Sussex County Council provide extra care some of which is available on a leased basis. 

Private Rented Sector

The private rented sector is growing in Wealden. Because of the shortage of social housing in the district, private rented accommodation  is the option the majority of applicants looking for housing will be directed to.

Transfers and Mutual Exchanges

If you are an existing council or housing association tenant and need to move you can apply to transfer home and at the same time look for a mutual exchange. If you are an existing council tenant and move to a smaller home or into retirement living you may qualify for assistance under the Council's Tenant Incentive Scheme.

Applying for Social Housing To Rent

All available Council and registered providers (housing association) homes for rent are advertised through Sussex Homemove (external link)  to enable those in housing need to have a greater control over where they live. This includes properties which are only available for people aged 60 or over (retirement living and age-restricted properties-some of which are for those aged 55+) or those who have a physical disability. To be considered for social housing, applicants need to apply to join the housing register (external site). 

Find out about the new homes currently under construction including Council New Build homes.

Other specialist accommodation including homes for those with a learning disability and extra care for the elderly are available in Wealden and have developed in partnership with East Sussex County Council. East Sussex County Council deal with eligibility and waiting list for this type of accommodation.  Find out more about specialist supported accommodation in East Sussex.

Homelessness/Rough Sleeping

Information if you are homeless or sleeping rough or to report someone who is sleeping rough. 


Contact the Housing Options Team