Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Planning and Building Control  >  Frequently Asked Questions  >  Building Control FAQs

Building Control FAQs

Do I need Building Regulation permission if I have already obtained planning permission or have been told I do not need planning permission?

The answer is usually Yes, as Building Regulation permission is a completely separate approval process. Planning permission deals essentially with land use, appearance etc., while Building Regulations deal with how buildings are constructed to ensure they meet health and safety standards as well as meeting energy conservation and Disability Access requirements.

Note: Building Regulations are a much older form of control than Planning and in this country can chart their history through the Victorian Health Reforms back through the Great Fire of London and to earlier times of William the Conqueror.

What do I need to do to gain Building Regulation Approval and what is involved in the process?

You need to either submit a;

  • Building Notice - usually for simple works
  • Full Plans Application - more complex projects
  • Regularisation Certificate - where works have already been carried out.

See our building notice application process page for more information 

Whichever approach is taken, surveyors/engineers from Building Control will also carry out appropriate inspections to ensure the works in principal are in conformity with the Regulations.

What do the Building Regulations cover?

The Building Regulations cover a wide range of standards from structure to fire safety, drainage, sound insulation etc.

Is there any cost to obtaining Building Regulation Approval?

Yes - there are fees which relate to the submission of the applications and the subsequently inspection of works on site. (These fees are entirely separate. You may also have to pay when submitting your Planning application.)

What do I gain from obtaining Building Regulation Approval?

The following:-

  • You meet your statutory obligations and avoid the authority taking enforcement action against you
  • You have the peace of mind that someone independent of the builder and or your designer is looking at your designs and building works to ensure they meet minimum standards of health and safety
  • You gain from our local knowledge which should help in providing a generally more sustainable building i.e. ensuring it is on the right foundations for the soil conditions
  • You or your builder will receive advice and help on how to comply with the standards during the construction process
  • You will receive a completion certificate at the end of the project (when the works have been satisfactorily completed). This is an important document as should you come to sell your property it will be evidence to perspective purchasers solicitors that the works have been completed satisfactorily

Note: The completion certificate will also, if you are a business, provide evidence that you have complied to these areas of overlap with other legislation i.e. Licensing, Fire Safety, Safety in the Work Place, Disability Discrimination Act.

What types of works require Building Regularisation Approval?

Where you erect a building, extend a building, internally alter a building and where you change its use. This applies to all domestic, commercial and public buildings.

Building works which tend not to require Building Regulation approval would be structures such as:-

  • car ports (under 30m2)
  • greenhouses (under 30m2)
  • garden sheds (under 30m2)
  • detached garages constructed of non combustible materials (under 30m2 and not within 1m of the boundary)
  • Certain internal and external works relating to repair.

If in doubt always check with the Building Control Service, Tel: 01892 602005.