Wealden District Council, under the Public Health Act 1925 (Sections 17-19), has the legal responsibility to ensure that all streets are named and all properties are numbered.
Under the Local Government Act 2003 (Section 93), the Council reserves the right to charge for non discretionary services.
Important changes from 1st April
From 1st April 2011 we began charging for Street Naming and Numbering services, which includes property name changes and registering new properties. View our Street Naming and Numbering Policy (pdf) for more details.
The Council's Powers
The Council has the power to approve or reject street names and property addresses which are submitted by developers and the general public, or to prescribe its own addressing schemes.
Why do we have this?
The purpose of this control is to ensure that new street names and property numbers and names comply fully with the National Land & Property Gazetteer address standard BS7666-2006.
This control allows for:
- The emergency services to locate an address quickly
- The efficient delivery of mail
- The reliable delivery of services and goods.
Street Naming and Numbering Information
In this section you can find information on the following:
- How to Register a Postal Address
- Apply to Change Your House Name
- Street Naming and Numbering Policy (pdf)
- Report a Damaged/Missing Street Name Plate (external link)
- Are You Moving? A link to the online change of address service and advice about moving house.