Council Tax Bands

View details of how much you will have to pay depending on where you live and the valuation band of your property.

The total council tax contribution is shared between the following: East Sussex County Council (71%) , Wealden District Council (10%), Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner (9%), East Sussex Fire Authority (5%) and your local town or parish council (average 5%).

The different council tax band amounts are calculated from the Band D level. For example: Band A is the equivalent of two thirds (6/9) of Band D and Band H is the equivalent of twice Band D. The tax base is number of Band D properties after allowing for exemptions, discounts and council tax reduction. Properties in other bands are adjusted to the Band D equivalent. Local precept is the amount of money required to be collected on behalf of your local town or parish council.

Check your Council Tax Band

Council tax band valuations and how to appeal

The council tax band applied to your property is based on the market value of the property at 1 April 1991. Changes in the market value of your property since 1991 have not been taken into account. The following shows the valuation bands.

  • Band A: Up to and including £40,000
  • Band B: £41,001 to £52,000
  • Band C: £52,001 to £68,000
  • Band D: £68,002 to £88,000
  • Band E: £88,001 to £120,000
  • Band F: £120,001 to £160,000
  • Band G: £160,001 to £320,000
  • Band H: £320,001 or more

If you don’t agree with the valuation band of your property you can appeal within 6 months of becoming the council tax payer or if the band of a similar property is changed. Appeals should be made to:

The Listing Officer, Valuation Office Agency, Council Tax South, 2nd Floor, 1 Francis Grove, London SW19 4DT

Phone: 03000 501 501 or email:

Information about you

Please be aware that information held about you, your household and your property may be shared with other services of the Council in order to assist the Council in carrying out its statutory duties. Where the law permits, the information may be shared with other local authorities and organisations who may be contracted to carry out work on our behalf.