Council Tenants – Getting Involved

The Housing Service supports tenants and residents to get involved in improving their neighbourhood, and play a part in the decision making processes which affect where they live. From joining a local community group, helping out at a Clear-up day, organising events, attending meetings, sitting on partnership panels, or completing on-line surveys or taking part in Consultations, all residents can choose how and when they want to make a difference. Our Tenant Involvement Strategy (pdf) establishes a framework for enabling our tenants and leaseholders to be consulted and effectively participate in the decision making process which affects them and the management if their homes.

Scrutiny and evaluation

The Housing Service is constantly looking for new ways for tenants to become involved in scrutinizing the way we work, looking at standards, and helping us to improve if things have gone wrong. Often we need different groups of tenants or individuals to look at specific areas of the Housing Service. If you think you may be interested please contact us using the contact details at the bottom of the page.

Attend an estate walk-about in your area

In partnership with the local Community Groups and other agencies, the Housing Service holds walk-abouts on our larger estates with Housing Officers and Estate Wardens. Walk-abouts are useful for identifying areas which may be in need of improvements or repairs, or investigate ideas for a community project or scheme.

Estate walk-abouts are an excellent way to meet local residents, the Housing Officers and Estate Wardens for each area, and offer an ideal opportunity to look at areas of land or places where improvements could be made on our housing areas.

In some cases, other agencies such as the Police, Parish and District Councillors and Highways Officers have also attended, leading to effective partnership working to bring about positive changes and improvements. The walk-abouts have helped to identify some of the projects and schemes which have benefited from funding from the Community and Environmental Budget.

Get involved in a local Residents’ Association or Community Group.

One way to get involved and make a difference is by volunteering with or helping to set up a new local Community Association or group. If you would like information on a group in your neighbourhood, please contact the Tenant Participation Team using contact details below to find out how we can help.

Wealden Residents Action Group (WRAG).

The Wealden Residents Action Group, is the representative body for tenants and leaseholders across the District and is made up of representatives from local community groups and residents associations. WRAG attends partnership meetings with Council Officers and Councillors, to ensure the priorities of tenants and residents are considered. WRAG also scrutinises the decision making and policies processes and feeds into budget setting and financial planning of the housing service

If you would like more information, or would like to get involved with the work of WRAG, or have any issues or concerns you feel WRAG should be aware of please email

Retirement Living Residents Group (RLRG).

The Retirement Living Housing Residents Group (RLRG) was formed in 2009 and represents tenants and leaseholders or shared owners living in Wealden District Council’s Retirement Living Courts. Residents of each court elect representatives, who attend monthly RLRG meetings, which are held in a different location each month.

RLRG representatives meet with Council Officers and Councillors to discuss any issues affecting Court Residents.

To find out more about RLRG or to get involved contact The Tenant Participation Team using the contact details below.

Community and Environmental Budget.

The Housing and Property Service provides the Community and Environmental Budget , which can fund projects and schemes that will make improvements to the community or environmental facilities on WDC estates or Retirement Living Courts. The budget is funded by revenue from rent, therefore projects or schemes must be of benefit to tenants and their families.

If you have an idea for a project or scheme which will improve the environment of your housing area or Court or will provide facilities for the community, please get in touch with your Housing Officer or Court Manager to discuss it.