Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Transferring Home

What do I need to do to be considered for a move?

If you want to transfer to another property you must meet the following conditions before we will consider your application:

  • In normal circumstances you will be expected to have a clear rent account.
  • The interior of the property should be clean, damage free and in good decorative order.
  • If you have a garden it should be well maintained and tidy.

It will be necessary for a Housing Officer to inspect your property prior to any move being approved.

How can I move to another property in the Wealden area?

In order to move you must be registered on our housing register. All applications are subject to eligibility and all available properties (both council and housing association) are advertised online, which eligible households must bid for. Find out more. 


What Can I Expect From My New Home

The Housing Service has a Voids Standard which is a standard for the re-letting of our empty properties.

Carrying out a Mutual Exchange

In addition to transferring home another way of trying to move is to look for an exchange. An exchange is when you arrange to swap your home with another tenant.

All secure tenants (including flexible fixed term tenants) have the right to carry out a mutual exchange with either another Council tenant or a housing association tenant anywhere in the country. It is the responsibility of the tenant to identify another tenant to exchange with. It is usual practice for a two-way mutual exchange to take place but a three-way mutual exchange is also possible.

You must never exchange without first obtaining written consent from your landlord. Permission can be withheld if either tenant is in rent arrears or if the property is not suited to either of the household’s needs.

How Do I Find Someone To Do A Mutual Exchange With?

There is a mutual exchange list which operates online, and shows details of other households wishing to carry out a mutual exchange. To register for an exchange, go to Exchange Locata website.

You do not have to be registered for a transfer to register on Exchange Locata. The register will allow you to see all properties available across East and West Sussex, as well as nationally.

If you are registered for a transfer, you can also access Exchange Locata from Homemove.