Our Housing Strategy is now more comprehensive and incorporates the Private Housing Renewal Strategy. Since our last Housing Strategy developed in 2014 there have been a number of new pieces of legislation introduced impacting upon housing, as well as a national election in May 2015 and a national referendum which resulted in the decision to leave Europe and the Prime Minister standing down.
The key priorities for this Housing Strategy are:-
- Increasing housing supply
- Improving housing quality
- Providing housing advice and support
Our strategic objectives are underpinned by a set of key principles:
- Reducing inequality – making sure that services are welcoming and responsive to the needs of Wealden’s whole community.
- Improving neighbourhoods – making sure services contribute to creating safe sustainable communities.
- Accountability to local people – making sure that local people are involved in decisions about the services that affect them.
- Value for money – making sure services are efficient and provide maximum impact
- Partnership working – making sure the Council works with other agencies that can help improve the quality of life residents in the District.
The Housing Strategy will be reviewed in 2020 and updated in line with the Corporate Plan priorities and having regard to any political, legislative ad policy changes both nationally and locally. It will also allow us time to assess the impact of the national changes such as the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, welfare reform and the roll out of Universal credit.
- View or download the Housing Strategy 2020 – 2025