As the effects of climate change become more apparent, it will be even more important to stay cool during the summer as temperatures get hotter. There are low cost ways to keep your home cool during warmer weather that also save energy.
- Close curtains during the day, especially if you are going out, as keeping the sunlight out will keep the house cooler. Closing windows during the heat of the day will also help.
- Open windows when it is cooler during the morning and evening.
- If you use electric fans to stay cool, only use them in the room you are in and don’t leave them running when you are out.
- A cool shower is a great way of cooling down at the end of the day and will use less energy than a bath.
- If you have air conditioning only use it when the temperature inside is warmer than outside (otherwise just open a window). If you are using air conditioning only cool the rooms you are in and remember to close windows.
- Try keeping some bottled tap water in the fridge add some slices of lemon or lime for flavour, rather than expensive and unhealthy fizzy drinks.
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothes, and remember to cover up, use sun cream and wear a hat if you go outside.