The Smart Energy Parishes Project
The Smart Meter System
If you decide to accept a free smart meter, your energy supplier will install the following equipment:
- A smart gas and/or electric meter.
- A smart prepayment meter for gas and/or electric.
- A portable in-home display that tells you how much energy you are using.
Your smart meter will tell your portable in-home display how much energy you are using in pounds and pence, in near real time.
If you have a smart prepayment meter your in-home display will also tell you how much credit you have left, how much emergency credit you have and your debt balance (if applicable). It will also enable new and flexible ways to top up the meter including by tablet or phone.
Smart Meter Videos on Youtube
- Free smart meter system to have fitted by a trained installer.
- No more meter readings.
- No more estimated bills.
- New and flexible ways to top up credit meters.
- Reduce energy consumption.
- Smart meters are bad for my health!
Smart meters are covered by UK and EU product safety legislation. They are not considered a health risk by Public Health England (PHE).
- Smart meters pose a data security risk!
Smart meters only store information on how much gas and electricity you have used. They send information to your supplier on a secure wireless network. Top cyber security experts have worked hard to design a system which is safe and secure.
- Smart meters are not accurate!
Your smart meter will be just as accurate as the meter you had before. By law all smart meters have to be certified to ensure accuracy.
If you have a question on smart meter technology or want to learn more visit Smart Energy Frequently Asked Questions (external link)