X2008 Graduate Management Trainee
Salary: £21,363 - £23,739 p.a
Contract Type: Full Time / 1 Year fixed term
Hours: 37 per week
Location: Home-working with some office-based days in Hailsham, East Sussex
Wealden District Council is looking for someone with the potential to be a future local government leader. Our one-year programme offers a graduate a great opportunity to work closely with the Corporate Management Team and across a multitude of local government departments leading projects that will have an impact on local residents’ everyday lives.
About the role
You will work on a minimum of two challenging and strategic placements across the Council giving you exposure to a range of different projects, all of which will engage you in work that is vital to delivering the Council’s key priorities and contributing towards Wealden’s Corporate Plan. As part of these placements you will have the opportunity to help tackle some of our biggest challenges from Covid-19 recovery and emergency planning to new ways of working and the regeneration of Hailsham. You will also have a unique chance to work with the Council’s senior leadership, thus gaining an insight into what it is like to work at the highest levels of local government.
We aim to help you develop to become an effective change agent in the Council, and want to help you realise your leadership potential in a challenging and rapidly changing sector. You will also gain programme and project management skills.
Whilst on the programme you will also benefit from mentoring from a member of the Senior Leadership Team to help you with future career planning.
We are open to applications from graduates from different backgrounds, universities, and degree disciplines, however successful candidates will demonstrate a real passion for a career in local government and the Wealden District. You will also need to evidence key skills and behaviours throughout the application process.
Who can apply?
To be eligible you must:
- Have obtained a 2:2 or above undergraduate degree by the end of July 2020
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the Wealden District
Why should I apply?
- This posts presents an exciting opportunity to work right at the heart of an ambitious and forward-looking Council, proud of its reputation as the best place to live in the south east.
- A chance to constantly influence senior decision making across a variety of departments.
- You will meet the Chief Executive, Directors and Cabinet Members in your induction and will be well-known from the outset. You will make presentations, draft reports and executive summaries for the Chief Executive and Directors and provide general executive assistant support as and when required.
- You will be mentored throughout by a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
How to Apply:
You will need to submit a CV and supporting statement to Human.Resources@wealden.gov.uk, both of no more than 2 sides of A4. Your supporting statement should address the following points:
1) 2:2 or higher Bachelor’s degree in any field (relate how your learning, your experience of doing the degree and academic achievements have prepared you for this opportunity with examples).
2) A demonstrable understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the Wealden District preferably evidenced through a direct connection to the District such as grew up/schooled/college/university/worked.
3) Why do you want to be a management trainee at Wealden?
4) Experience of using problem solving skills for a positive outcome
5) Demonstrate how you have worked collaboratively
6) Provide examples to demonstrate your excellent verbal and written communication skills
Within your statement be sure to give examples stating clearly what your role was, what you did and how your actions led to a positive outcome for your team or organisation.
You will also need to demonstrate your flexibility, ability to prioritise and confirm that you have home broadband and the use of a car or an alternative means of transport for occasional travel.
We offer an excellent package, including competitive salary, career average salary pension scheme, an employee benefit scheme offering a range of discounts and salary sacrifice schemes, flexitime and discounted leisure centre membership.
Wealden District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.Job Description
Closing Date: 04/10/2020
Interview Date: 14th October 2020
Post Number: X2020