Licensing Rules

From November 24th 2005 the new licensing rules came into force under the Licensing Act 2003. Previous liquor, public entertainment, theatre, cinema and late night refreshment licences all disappeared to be replaced by a single system.

This consists of two main types of licence;

  • premises licence
  • personal licence

Local councils are now the Licensing Authorities, and the courts no longer administer liquor licensing. The new rules also abolish fixed licensing hours.

Single events

Are you planning a concert or festival?

Single events such as outdoor concerts & festivals are subject to the Licensing Actu00a02003.u00a0u00a0

Restaurants and Late Night Refreshments

New licensing rules for restaurants, cafes, garages, takeaways, mobile vans & supermarkets.

Premises including restaurants, cafes, garages, takeaways, but also mobile vans who supply hot food or hot drinks between 11pm and 5am require a Premises Licence which includes Late Night Refreshment. It does not matter whether the food is consumed on or off the premises.

Hotels, recognised clubs and employers supplying to members and/or guests are exempt from this requirement.u00a0u00a0

Village And Community Halls

If you hire or use your hall for the sale of alcohol or Regulated Entertainment a licence will be required.

You will have to consider whether you wish to restrict these events to a maximum of 12 per year, in which case you can apply for Temporary Event Notices (TENS).

If you think it is likely that you will want to use/hire the hall for the sale of alcohol and/or Regulated Entertainment on more than 12 occasions, then you will need to apply for a Premises Licence. Where a Premises Licence includes the sale of alcohol, a personal licence holder and Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) will also then be required.

It is likely that these premises will be exempt from fees for a premises licence for regulated entertainment, but not for supplying alcohol.u00a0


Churches are exempt from holding a premises licence where they provide any entertainment or an entertainment facility. However any sale of alcohol is licensable and will require either a Premises Licence or Temporary Event Notice (see above).