In order to apply for a Dual Driver licence you must (amongst other criteria):
- Hold a full DVLA driver’s licence
- Have held your DVLA licence for at least 36 months
- Be a “fit and proper” person
Being a “fit and proper person”
In order to establish that you are a “fit and proper” person you will need to:
- Provide details of your driving history, this is done by allowing the Council access to your DVLA records.
- Provide evidence of your conviction history, this is done by completing a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Disclosure form to Enhanced Level.
- Pass a Private Hire/Hackney Carriage Driver Assessment. The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency is no longer undertaking taxi driver assessments, please contact us for instructions.
- Undergo a rigorous medical examination, carried out by your own Doctor, to the DVLA Group II medical standards. A medical is now required with each and every application for the grant or renewal of a Dual Driver’s licence. On reaching 65 years of age an annual medical is required.
- Pass our Knowledge Test
Applicants who hold a current PCV Licence will be exempted from the requirement to pass the DSA test.
Applicants who have undergone Group II medicals in respect of their vocational licences may in certain circumstances be exempt from undergoing a further medical examination. Please speak directly with a Licensing Officer if you think this may apply to you.
Before applying or renewing a licence, applicants should check whether any convictions (including spent convictions) will bar you from holding a licence.
There are extra requirements for applicants who have lived outside the UK for six months or more in the last five years.
The Immigration Act 2016 introduces new sanctions to tackle illegal migration and illegal working.
Our Knowledge Test asks a variety of questions about driving legislation, vehicle maintenance and the local area.
Ready to apply?
If you think you are likely to meet the standard to become a Dual Driver in Wealden then please move on to our Apply to become a Dual Driver page.