On this page you will find information on the specification your vehicle must meet to be licensed as a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle in Wealden.
Please speak to a licensing officer before purchasing a vehicle if you are not sure if it will comply with our requirements.
Your vehicle must:
- Have four doors of a size to permit easy access
- Be able to permit the specified number of passengers to be carried in comfort and safety
- Provide adequate luggage space per passenger licensed, stowed safely and securely (3.5 cu.ft. (100 litres) per passenger)
- Have a pristine standard of appearance and be maintained in such a condition
- Carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher
- Have a valid insurance certificate for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, either by “Public Hire” (Hackney Carriage) or “Private Hire” (Private Hire)
- Have a VCT Certificate, with the exception of brand new vehicles with delivery mileage
- Rear tinted windows must be no darker than legally permitted front side tinted windows
- Meet the appropriate vehicle age limit
For full details of vehicle requirements, including the specific rules for vehicles with 5-8 seats, please refer to the handbook.
We have adopted, as a minimum, the National Inspection Standards.
Licensed vehicles are required to pass a VCT will replace MOTs as a requirement when licensing a vehicle.
From 1 January 2018, new vehicle licences will only be granted to vehicles less than seven years old.
Please check our policy on tinted windows before purchasing your vehicle.
If you wish to license your vehicle as a Hackney Carriage, you must have a sealed meter fitted.
High standards are required for applicants wishing to apply for an Exemption Certificate.
If you intend to operated CCTV in your vehicle then you must read our policy.
Your vehicle must display Council approved rear door signs.
Ready to apply?
If you think your vehicle is likely to meet the standard to be licensed then please move on to our Apply for a Vehicle Licence page.