Obtaining Advice on Planning Matters

The following information will assist in determining whether or not planning permission is required and/or how to obtain further advice.

Do I need planning permission?

Guidance on the Planning system

The Planning Portal (external link) provides general guidance about the kinds of work for which planning permission is and is not required. For further information please see the Planning Portal’s “Interactive House” (external link) which provides a visual guide on whether or not planning permission or building regulations will be required.  Details of National Policies are available on the Communities and Local Government (external link) website.

Permitted Development

This is where planning permission is not required for certain developments. The Permitted Development Rights are specified in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (GDPO), which is subject to amendments (May 2013 and April 2014). To help you find out if you need planning permission for householder developments the “Interactive House” (external link)  and “Interactive terrace” (external link)  are useful tools to help along with mini guides (external link) on Extensions, Conservatories, Loft Conversions, Porches and Outbuildings amongst other developments.

If it is not clear whether works are covered by permitted development rights, it is possible to apply for a lawful development certificate for a legally binding decision from the local planning authority.

If you wish to formally verify if you require planning permission for a propose development a ‘Lawful Development Certificate for a Proposed Use or Development’ is a legal  document stating the lawfulness of future development. Application Form No. 15″  Guidance Note GN15  and local information requirements “LIR15” are available to download and under the heading Lawful Use Certificate on the Planning Application Forms page.

Highway and Transport Advice

Information relating to highway matters and other transport advice is available on the East Sussex County Council website (external link) including parking standards, dropped kerbs, transport assessments and travel plans.

Pre-Application Advice

The Council is keen to promote the Development Team Approach for all significant development schemes and has therefore appointed a Development Manager.

Wealden District Council offers five types of pre-application advice.

These are held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Council Offices, Vicarage Lane, Hailsham.

  • Householder and other minor domestic application surgeries are on Tuesdays commencing 9.30am as half hour appointments.
  • Listed Building/Conservation Area advice surgeries are on Tuesesday mornings and are hourly appointments at 9.30am and 11.00am.
  • Non-Householder, more complex small housing or commercial developments are on Wednesdays with appointments from 9.30am 10.15am and 11.30am.

To book a Planning Surgery Appointment Tel: 01323 443322 or 01892 653311

Guidance on Renewable Energy

Visit the Planning Portal’s “Interactive House” (external link) to determine whether planning permission is needed for various domestic renewable energy installations (for houses only).

Use Classes Order 2005

The Use Classes Order 2005 (as amended) (external link) is legislation which prescribes a number of broad ‘classes of use’ within which change can take place without the need to apply for planning permission.