The procedures for producing a Neighbourhood Plan are set out in the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, which came into force on 6th April 2012.
The first step is to submit to the local planning authority an application for the designation of the area to be covered by each Neighbourhood Plan. A Town or Parish Council may choose to produce a Neighbourhood Plan that covers all or part of their parish. They must submit to the local planning authority the following:
- (a) A map which identifies the area to be covered by the Neighbourhood Plan; and
- (b) A statement explaining why the area concerned is appropriate; and
- (c) A statement confirming that they are a “relevant body” under the legislation.
In most cases, the local planning authority in Wealden is the District Council. However, for those parts of Wealden which lie within the South Downs National Park, applications for the designation of Neighbourhood Plan Areas must be made to the National Park Authority.
Once an application is received from a Town or Parish Council, it will be publicised on this website and also publicised by the Parish Council in any way they communicate with their community.
Comments must be submitted in writing and cannot be accepted as anonymous. All information received is public information (subject to the Data Protection Act). Comments can be submitted via email or by post.
All comments will be treated equally, although it will be up to the District Council to balance any conflicting opinions when considering the Plan Area application. A report summarising the area designation and any issues raised by consultation will be considered by the Council’s Portfolio Holder for Planning and Development when deciding the Plan Area application and a decision made via Portfolio Holder Decision. A record of this decision will then sent to the relevant Town or Parish Council and placed on this website. If the decision is to refuse to designate the Plan Area, then the District Council will also publish its reasons for making that decision.
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Consultation Response – Environment Agency (June 2016)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Consultation Response – Historic England (June 2016)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Consultation Response – Natural England (June 2016)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Opinion Determination Letter – 28th June 2016
Wadhurst Parish Council submitted an application for designation of the whole of the parish area to be designated for the purposes of neighbourhood planning. The application was approved by the Portfolio Holder for Planning and Development on 8th November 2017 as a Portfolio Holder Decision .