COVID-19 National Lockdown regulations and legislation


National Lockdown restrictions : Restrictions on movement, gatherings closure of, and restrictions on business (external link)

National Lockdown: Stay ay Home: What you need to know

Wealden District Council area is in National Lockdown – Stay at Home – the following businesses may remain open; all others must close with certain exceptions as listed below.

To include – storage and distribution facilities of these businesses.
Food retailers including supermarkets, corner stores, convenience stores and food markets. Off licences and licensed shops selling alcohol including breweries.

Pharmacies, chemists, newsagents, animal rescue centres and animal boarding facilities; builders’ merchants and suppliers, petrol stations, vehicle repair and MOT, bicycle shops and taxi or vehicle hire businesses.


Banks, building societies and credit unions, short term loan providers, credit unions, savings clubs, cash points, currency exchange, post offices.

Funeral directors, launderettes and dry cleaners, vets, pet shops, agricultural supplies, businesses selling or supplying natural Christmas trees and garden centres.


Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths, mental health services.


Mobility and disability support shops, car parks, public toilets, automatic car washes.
Nightclubs, dance halls and discothequesProvision of essential voluntary services, urgent public support services – food banks, support for homeless people, blood donation sessions; for the purpose of voting; making films, TV programme or audio recording.
Any business which opens at night, has a dance floor or other space for dancing and provides music whether live or recorded for dancing.Separate self-contained unit within premises may be used for retail or hire; or for making deliveries provided in response to orders received from a website, phone, text or post.
Sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars 
Any business which provides a waterpipe for the consumption of tobacco or other substance on the premises 
Any business which provides a device to be used for the recreational inhalation of nicotine or any other substance on the premises 
Retail travel agents 
Cafes including workplace canteens

Except – cafes in hospitals and care homes, canteens in criminal justice accommodation, naval, military or air force; provisions of food and drink to the homeless; education accommodation for students where there is no other practical alternative, workplace canteens where there is no other practical alternative provided alcohol is not sold or provision of food and drink for the homeless. Drink not to include alcohol.


Bars including those in hotels and members clubsMay offer online /delivery services for food only not alcohol
Public Houses and social clubsMay offer online /delivery services for food only not alcohol
Betting shops, spas, tanning salons, nail bars, beauty salons, hair salons and barbers, massage parlours, tattoo and piercing studios.May offer online retail and delivery

Showrooms including outdoor areas for sale or hire of caravans, boats or any vehicle mechanically propelled.

Carpet stores

May offer online /delivery services
Car washesExcept for automatic car washes
Auction housesExcept for livestock or agricultural equipment
Outdoor marketsExcept those selling food, livestock markets and any retailer legally allowed to be open.

Restaurants, hotels, dining rooms in hotels and members clubs must cease to offer food and drink for consumption on the premises and close any part of the business where food is habitually consumed including any adjacent outdoor areas.


Businesses preparing food and drink on site for consumption immediately off premises.

















Does not apply to ports, airports, motorway service stations or any terminal; supermarkets, corner shops, convenience stores, newsagents, pharmacists, chemists, petrol stations.


May sell food and drink for consumption off the premises (takeaway/click and collect/delivery) and accepts orders via a website, phone, text or post for delivery or collection where the customer remains in vehicle while food order is passed over. Pre-ordered food may be collected provided the customer does not enter the premises. Drink does not include alcohol.


Any food business operating after 23:00 must have the appropriate licence.


Premises may be used for provision of essential voluntary services, urgent public support services – food banks, support for homeless people, blood donation sessions; for the purpose of voting; making films, TV programme or audio recording. Facilities where professional sportspersons, dancers or choreographers train, theatres and concert halls for education and training or broadcast purposes; use of indoor play, skating rinks and trampoline parks by those with disabilities, under 18s and for education and training purposes.


Holiday accommodation – hotel, hostel, B&B, holiday apartment, home, cottage, bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, canal boat or any vessel must cease to carry on that business.

Where people are unable to return to their main residence;

Or live permanently in caravan parks;

Or need accommodation while moving to a new house, attending a funeral or medical appointment or medical treatment

Or is a carer of a vulnerable person and/or requires respite care

Or are isolating themselves from others as required by law;

Or is an elite athlete, coach of an elite athlete or parent of an elite athlete under 18 years and needs accommodations for training or competition;

Or needs accommodation to visit a person who is dying;

Or require accommodation for work, charity or voluntary purposes, education, training, women’s refuge;

Or accommodation for the homeless, food bank or blood donation sessions.



Bingo Halls

Bowling Alleys

Snooker and pool halls

Amusement arcades including adult gaming centres

Laser quest and escape rooms

Outdoor sports facilities



Concert halls

Skating rinks



Dance Studios

Fitness centres and gyms

Sports courts

Swimming pools

Indoor riding centres

Soft play areas

Trampoline parks

Inflatable parks

Indoor games, play, recreation and entertainment venues



Water parks and aqua parks

Theme parks, fairgrounds and funfairs

Adventure parks and activities

Aquariums, zoos and safari parks

Outdoor animal attractions

Indoor attractions at sculpture parks and landmarks, botanical gardens/biomes

Castles and stately historic homes

Museums and galleries

Model villages

Visitor attractions at film studios

Conference centres and exhibition halls

Kitchen bathroom tile and glazing showrooms.


Trade shows or events in conference centres which are attended only by persons in employment of the owner or the person responsible for running the conference hall.

Toilets may remain open in grounds of attractions/parks where the public could usually access whether for payment or not.

 Places of worship may remain open, but you must not attend or socialise with anyone outside your household or support bubble.


These Regulations will be enforced by Wealden District Council Environmental Health Officers, East Sussex County Council Trading Standards Officers and Sussex Police.

For advice or complaints email Wealden DC on or ESCC Trading Standards  on

Complaints regarding any individual’s behaviour or possible non compliance should be reported online to Sussex Police (external link) 


If a business is found to be trading in contravention of the regulations, they may be subject to an enforcement notice prohibiting specified activities. If this is not complied with fixed penalty notices may be issued. A prosecution may follow.


View the Environmental Health Enforcement Policy (external link)