COVID-19 TIER 3 Regulations and legislation



Tier 3 restrictions: PART 1 – Restrictions on gatherings

Tier 3: Very High Alert – what you need to know

In Tier 3 the following businesses must close:

Nightclubs, dance halls and discothequesProvision of essential voluntary services, urgent public support services – food banks, support for homeless people, blood donation sessions; for the purpose of voting; making films, TV programme or audio recording.
Any business which opens at night, has a dance floor or other space for dancing and provides music whether live or recorded for dancing.Separate self-contained unit within premises may be used for retail or hire; or for making deliveries provided in response to orders received from a website, phone, text or post.
Sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars 
Any business which provides a waterpipe for the consumption of tobacco or other substance on the premises 
Any business which provides a device to be used for the recreational inhalation of nicotine or any other substance on the premises 
Cafes including workplace canteens

Except – cafes in hospitals and care homes, canteens in criminal justice accommodation, naval, military or air force; provisions of food and drink to the homeless; education accommodation for students where there is no other practical alternative, workplace canteens where there is no other practical alternative provided alcohol is not sold or provision of food and drink for the homeless.

Bars including those in hotels and members clubs 
Public Houses and social clubs 

Restaurants, hotels, dining rooms in hotels and members clubs must cease to offer food and drink for consumption on the premises and close any part of the business where food is habitually consumed including any adjacent outdoor areas.

Businesses preparing food and drink on site for consumption immediately off premises.

Does not apply to ports, airports, motorway service stations or any terminal; supermarkets, corner shops, convenience stores, newsagents, pharmacists, chemists, petrol stations.

May sell food for consumption off the premises (takeaway/click and collect/delivery) between 05:00 and 23:00; between 23:00 and 05:00 if holds the appropriate licence, and accepts orders via a website, phone, text or post for delivery or collection where the customer remains in vehicle while food order is passed over.

Premises may be used for provision of essential voluntary services, urgent public support services – food banks, support for homeless people, blood donation sessions; for the purpose of voting; making films, TV programme or audio recording. Facilities where professional sportspersons, dancers or choreographers train, theatres and concert halls for education and training or broadcast purposes; use of indoor play, skating rinks and trampoline parks by those with disabilities, under 18s and for education and training purposes.


Holiday accommodation – hotel, hostel, B&B, holiday apartment, home, cottage, bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, canal boat or any vessel must cease to carry on that business.

Where people are unable to return to their main residence;

Or live permanently in caravan parks;

Or need accommodation while moving to a new house, attending a funeral or medical appointment or medical treatment

Or is a carer of a vulnerable person and/or requires respite care

Or are isolating themselves from others as required by law;

Or is an elite athlete, coach of an elite athlete or parent of an elite athlete under 18 years and needs accommodations for training or competition;

Or require accommodation for work, charity or voluntary purposes, education, training, women’s refuge;

Or accommodation for the homeless, food bank or blood donation sessions.


Indoor play areas

Soft play areas

Trampoline parks

Inflatable parks


Bingo Halls

Bowling Alleys

Snooker and pool halls

Amusement arcades including adult gaming centres

Laser quest and escape rooms

Cinemas except drive ins

Theatres except drive ins

Concert halls

Indoor skating rinks



Water parks and aqua parks

Theme parks, fairgrounds and funfairs

Adventure parks and activities

Aquariums, zoos and safari parks

Animal attractions at farms

Botanical gardens/biomes

Castles and stately historic homes

Museums and galleries

Sculpture Parks and landmarks

Model villages

Visitor attractions at film studios

Conference centres and exhibition halls

Retail gallery where art is for sale

Trade shows or events in conference centres which are attended only by persons in employment of the owner or the person responsible for running the conference hall.

 Places of worship may remain open, but you must not attend or socialise with anyone outside your household or support bubble.


These Regulations will be enforced by Wealden District Council Environmental Health Officers, East Sussex County Council Trading Standards Officers and Sussex Police.

For advice or complaints email Wealden DC on or ESCC Trading Standards  on

Complaints regarding any individual’s behaviour or possible non compliance should be reported online to Sussex Police


If a business is found to be trading in contravention of the regulations, they may be subject to an enforcement notice prohibiting specified activities. If this is not complied with fixed penalty notices may be issued. A prosecution may follow.