COVID-19 TIER 4 Regulations and legislation


In Tier 4: Stay at Home, the following businesses may remain open; all others must close with certain exceptions as listed below:
BUSINESSES THAT MAY REMAIN OPEN To include – storage and distribution facilities of these businesses.
Food retailers including supermarkets, corner stores, convenience stores and food markets. Off licences and licensed shops selling alcohol including breweries. Pharmacies, chemists, newsagents, animal rescue centres and animal boarding facilities; builders’ merchants and suppliers, petrol stations, vehicle repair and MOT, bicycle shops and taxi or vehicle hire businesses.
Banks, building societies and credit unions, short term loan providers, credit unions, savings clubs, cash points, currency exchange, post offices. Funeral directors, launderettes and dry cleaners, vets, pet shops, agricultural supplies, businesses selling or supplying natural Christmas trees and garden centres.
Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths, mental health services. Mobility and disability support shops, car parks, public toilets, automatic car washes.
Nightclubs, dance halls and discotheques Provision of essential voluntary services, urgent public support services – food banks, support for homeless people, blood donation sessions; for the purpose of voting; making films, TV programme or audio recording.
Any business which opens at night, has a dance floor or other space for dancing and provides music whether live or recorded for dancing. Separate self-contained unit within premises may be used for retail or hire; or for making deliveries provided in response to orders received from a website, phone, text or post.
Sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars
Any business which provides a waterpipe for the consumption of tobacco or other substance on the premises
Any business which provides a device to be used for the recreational inhalation of nicotine or any other substance on the premises
Cafes including workplace canteens Except – cafes in hospitals and care homes, canteens in criminal justice accommodation, naval, military or air force; provisions of food and drink to the homeless; education accommodation for students where there is no other practical alternative, workplace canteens where there is no other practical alternative provided alcohol is not sold or provision of food and drink for the homeless.
Bars including those in hotels and members clubs May offer online /delivery services
Public Houses and social clubs May offer online /delivery services
Betting shops, spas, tanning salons, nail bars, beauty salons, hair salons and barbers, massage parlours, tattoo and piercing studios. May offer online retail and delivery
Showrooms including outdoor areas for sale or hire of caravans, boats or any vehicle mechanically propelled. Carpet stores May offer online /delivery services
Car washes Except for automatic car washes
Auction houses Except for livestock or agricultural equipment
Outdoor markets Except those selling food, livestock markets and any retailer legally allowed to be open.
Restaurants, hotels, dining rooms in hotels and members clubs must cease to offer food and drink for consumption on the premises and close any part of the business where food is habitually consumed including any adjacent outdoor areas. Businesses preparing food and drink on site for consumption immediately off premises. Does not apply to ports, airports, motorway service stations or any terminal; supermarkets, corner shops, convenience stores, newsagents, pharmacists, chemists, petrol stations. May sell food for consumption off the premises (takeaway/click and collect/delivery) and accepts orders via a website, phone, text or post for delivery or collection where the customer remains in vehicle while food order is passed over. Pre-ordered food may be collected provided the customer does not enter the premises. Any food business operating after 23:00 must have the appropriate licence. Premises may be used for provision of essential voluntary services, urgent public support services – food banks, support for homeless people, blood donation sessions; for the purpose of voting; making films, TV programme or audio recording. Facilities where professional sportspersons, dancers or choreographers train, theatres and concert halls for education and training or broadcast purposes; use of indoor play, skating rinks and trampoline parks by those with disabilities, under 18s and for education and training purposes.  
Holiday accommodation – hotel, hostel, B&B, holiday apartment, home, cottage, bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, canal boat or any vessel must cease to carry on that business. Where people are unable to return to their main residence; Or live permanently in caravan parks; Or need accommodation while moving to a new house, attending a funeral or medical appointment or medical treatment Or is a carer of a vulnerable person and/or requires respite care Or are isolating themselves from others as required by law; Or is an elite athlete, coach of an elite athlete or parent of an elite athlete under 18 years and needs accommodations for training or competition; Or needs accommodation to visit a person who is dying; Or require accommodation for work, charity or voluntary purposes, education, training, women’s refuge; Or accommodation for the homeless, food bank or blood donation sessions.
Casinos Bingo Halls Bowling Alleys Snooker and pool halls Amusement arcades including adult gaming centres Laser quest and escape rooms Cinemas Theatres Concert halls Skating rinks Circuses Dance Studios Fitness centres and gyms Sports courts Swimming pools Indoor riding centres Soft play areas Trampoline parks Inflatable parks Indoor games, play, recreation and entertainment venues
Water parks and aqua parks Theme parks, fairgrounds and funfairs Adventure parks and activities Aquariums, zoos and safari parks Animal attractions at farms Indoor attractions at sculpture parks and landmarks, botanical gardens/biomes Castles and stately historic homes Museums and galleries Model villages Visitor attractions at film studios Conference centres and exhibition halls Kitchen bathroom tile and glazing showrooms. Trade shows or events in conference centres which are attended only by persons in employment of the owner or the person responsible for running the conference hall. Toilets may remain open in grounds of attractions/parks where the public could usually access whether for payment or not.
Places of worship may remain open, but you must not attend or socialise with anyone outside your household or support bubble.


These Regulations will be enforced by Wealden District Council Environmental Health Officers, East Sussex County Council Trading Standards Officers and Sussex Police. For advice or complaints email Wealden DC on or ESCC Trading Standards  on Complaints regarding any individual’s behaviour or possible non compliance should be reported online to Sussex Police


If a business is found to be trading in contravention of the regulations, they may be subject to an enforcement notice prohibiting specified activities. If this is not complied with fixed penalty notices may be issued. A prosecution may follow.