Information for voluntary Sector

This webpage is intended for clubs, societies and community groups planning their re opening after shutdown. Here’s a checklist to help you plan re opening.

Voluntary sector reopening checklist

One of the most important issues to consider is the safety of your water supply. Any clubhouse that has a cold/hot water supply that has been shut down or not used through shutdown needs to be flushed before re opening.

DISCLAIMER; A risk assessment should be made before flushing or disinfecting a water supply to ensure the safety of those involved. The expertise of a competent plumber or heating engineer may be required. More information can be read at the HSE website.

The following is general guidance

To flush, run the water until the temperature stabilises and let all water run down the drain. Every tap must be turned on to drain away stagnant water. Dismantle, clean and descale removable parts, such as hoses, shower and tap heads and inserts. Flush again. Disinfection of the entire system is needed if the system has not been regularly flushed through the lock down period.

Disinfection can be achieved by temperature – set the heating system to 60°c and run each tap and appliance sequentially for at least 5 minutes. Otherwise a chemical disinfectant could be used – it is recommended that advice is sought before attempting chemical disinfection of a water system. Remember your own safety when flushing/disinfecting a water system, do a risk assessment first.

Further advice is from PHE about Legionella.

All sports clubs should contact their governing body – they will have specific guidance for you. Any clubhouse bar or kitchen must comply with the current closure rules but may operate a takeaway service.

There are specific issues for charities and voluntary bodies to consider, you will find a wealth of guidance on a range of issues including finance on the NCVO website.

Voluntary organisations preparing food for the homeless or for those shielding must comply with food law. The Food Standards Agency has produced guidance on this

For further advice please email us at