In addition to obtaining the correct permissions, you also need to consider other structural requirements specific to food businesses when you choose your premises.
Obviously all premises are different, but there are some general structural requirements that all food businesses should adhere to:
- All surfaces should be clean and easy to keep clean. This not only relates to your work surfaces but also your walls, ceilings, windows and doors.
- You need to have adequate washing facilities, including hot and cold water and separate sinks and hand wash basins.
- You need to have adequate ventilation, this can be as simple as opening windows or a ventilation system, remember this must be able to be cleaned.
- You need to have adequate lighting, either natural or artificial.
- You need to have adequate drainage.
The Food Standards Agency have produced the Food Hygiene: A Guide for Businesses booklet which is a great starting point for new businesses. This booklet is a simple guide to the regulations and gives you practical advice on how to make sure you comply.