Councillor Ron Reed, who represents Crowborough Central ward, is Chairman of the Council. The high standing of the Chairman is one of honour and dignity rather than actual legal powers.
The Chairman is expected to attend many formal and informal functions including:
- Royal and State Visits
- Civic Ceremonies and Functions
- Charity events
- Community events
Other functions of the role are:
- To remain politically neutral as the office of Chairman is a civic and ceremonial position
- To Chair Full Council meetings
- Act as an ambassador to promote the Council’s name at home and elsewhere.
Vice Chairman of the Council
Councillor Snell who represents Polegate Central, is the Council’s Vice Chairman.
The Chairman welcomes invitations to attend community events; to invite the Chairman to your event, please complete the Chairman’s Engagement Form (external link)
Except when Royalty or the Lord Lieutenant/Deputy Lord Lieutenant is present, the Chairman as the First Citizen in the District, should be given due precedence at all proceedings and functions within their own District.
The Chairman will always be considerate of the host’s requirement, but generally, except in cases where the Chairman is asked to take part in the Reception, their time of arrival should be only five minutes before the function begins.
A responsible person should meet the Chairman at the entrance on arrival address them as Chairman – and should introduce them to the host or the assembled company.
If the Chairman is to speak, their toast or reply should appear early on the toast list and any background information should be sent to The Chairman’s Office in advance.
The formal announcement of the Chairman is “The Chairman of Wealden District Council, Councillor Pam Doodes.”
When the Chairman enters on more formal occasions, those present should rise and this should be repeated when they leave. Unless the Chairman occupies the chair, they should be seated on the immediate right of the person presiding (assuming Royalty or the Lord Lieutenant are not present). The Chairman’s Consort should be seated on the immediate right of the Chairman.
The Chairman should be advised of parking facilities and the anticipated end time for the event.
In the Civic Office we keep a diary of events that the Chairman is attending and we are always keen to promote and support these events; with that in mind, you can view the diary below and we encourage you to support your local community and attend the public events near you.
27.05.22 – Visit to St Phillips School, Uckfield.
02.06.2022 – Queen’s Platinum Jubilee event.
10.06.2022 – Tree planting at the Uckfield and Crowborough SANGS.
22.06.2022 – Parish Conference.
26.06.2022 – Armed Forces Day service.
22.07.2022 – Visit to Wealden Talking News, Heathfield.
10.07.2022 – ABF Tattoo and Beating Retreat, Herstmonceux Castle.
30.10.2022 – ABF Curry Lunch, Eastbourne College.
- 2019-21 Mrs Pamela Doodes
- 2016-19 Chris E. Hardy
- 2015-16 Mrs Barby Dashwood-Morris
- 2013-15 Dr Brian T. Redman
- 2011-13 Mrs Jonica M.M Fox
- 2009-11 Mrs Sylvia D. Martin
- 2007-09 Mrs Chantal Wilson
- 2005-07 Mrs Pat A. Kennedy
- 2005 John L. Vincent
- 2003-05 Jack T. Gore
- 2001-03 Norman A.D. Buck
- 2000-01 James A. Fordham
- 1999-00 Mrs Sylvia M. Tidy
- 1997-99 Raymond I.F. Parsons
- 1995-97 Mrs Valerie J. Chidson
- 1993-95 Peter S. Clifford
- 1991-93 Mrs Elizabeth M. Gabriel
- 1989-91 Bernard H.F. Trew
- 1987-89 Col. John D. Richards, O.B.E.
- 1985-87 Herbert Smith
- 1983-85 Edward W. Ellison, O.B.E.
- 1981-83 Mrs Pamela M. Passmore
- 1979-81 Geoffrey V. Humphrey
- 1979 Michael A. Jennings
- 1977-79 Lt. Col. Grattan H. Hart
- 1975-77 Air Cdre Harold M. Russell O.B.E.
- 1973-75 Herbert R. Searle