What is Street Learning?
Street Learning is a partnership project providing access to free courses to Wealden and Eastbourne residents. The range of courses available is wide and they are designed to help residents develop new skills or enhance existing ones.
Street Learning courses are provided in venues in the local community. They are completely free of charge and are available to all Wealden and Eastbourne residents – aged 19 years and over. There are also a wide range of online courses.
The Street Learning mission is to reduce social, digital and financial exclusion and improve access to training.
What type of courses are available?
There are practical courses like cooking and flowering arranging, arts and crafts courses, courses to help with managing your money, wellbeing courses like yoga and mindfulness to those that will help you to get to grips with computers and the internet as well as those designed to help you with your career.
Street Learning is a project run by Wealden District Council, in partnership with:
- East Sussex College
- Sussex Community Development Association (SCDA)
- East Sussex County Council Library
- Rural outreach Volunteer Training and empowerment
- Job Centre Plus
- Sussex Recovery College
- GRH Training
- Heathercroft Training
Other course providers also run courses on an ad hoc basis which are advertised in the Street Learning brochure.
We want to provide courses that you are interested in. So if you have any suggestions, please let us know at: Streetlearning@wealden.gov.uk
Feedback from recent courses
This is what recent attendees had to say about the course that they were on:
- “I thought I was a pretty good cook but I’ve learnt so much! how to make fresh pasta and how to make bread properly and identify mistakes'”
- “I really noticed a great change in my life in terms of self-esteem. The important thing is I am now doing a volunteer job in a charity shop as a result of changing”
- Socially it is great and you get a nice lunch to eat afterwards”
- “It was a fantastic opportunity to explore more about myself. My initial aims are almost irrelevant because the journey I have been on has opened up different opportunities and explored different ways to look at situations”
- “I have learnt some new skills and gained more confidence to try different things”
- “Course is very well run and interesting. I enjoyed it very much”
- “Thank you for such an interesting course with very kind, friendly and knowledgeable teacher.”
- “Thank you so very much for the skills and friendly encounters these courses provide. This yarn course will hopefully give me gift ideas to make as well 🙂 really boost my confidence and mood”
Follow us on Facebook
Current Street Learning Courses
Our new programme for April to July 2022 is able to download here or is available as a hard copy by post by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy. You can also find information on current courses at Facebook.
Please ensure that you contact the provider directly to find out more or to book a place on the course.
Press Refresh On Your Digital Skills – FREE Digital Skills Diploma available – worth £2,600! One of the top challenges for today’s employers is a lack of digital skills in candidates. The Digital Accelerator will bring you up to speed and help you stand out from the crowd.
This FREE courses helps fine tune existing skills or learn completely new skills – the Digital Accelerator course will equip you with essential digital and employability skills currently in demand by employers. For eligibility and to find out more visit: Free Digital Skills
Other free courses!
Whether you are looking to learn new skills, find a job, change career or up-level existing sector skills, Sussex Skills Solutions (part of East Sussex College) is here to help you gain the skills to succeed. Our short online courses are designed to be flexible to fit around you, your life and your commitments. This is your chance to turn that ‘might do’ into a ‘will do’. Find out more.
Courses for Wellbeing
Sussex Recovery College run courses for wellbeing that are open to people in Sussex who experience moderate to severe mental health challenges, their relatives, friends and carers and the staff of Recovery College partner organisations. Here you can find details of courses (both online and face to face) as well as access to other resources.
Here you can access links to the various organisations offering support for mental health and wellbeing within Sussex.
Maths and English
Do you struggle with reading, writing letters and emails, filling in forms or helping with the kid’s homework? We can support you to learn in a relaxed and friendly way and at your own pace. Find out more about the FREE help on offer at our DROP-IN on WEDNESDAYS from 10am to 12pm You can also email: email@example.com
or call Willingdon Trees Community Centre on 01323 504438 Our new website address is: www.willingdontrees.org.uk
Adult Functional Skills in Maths and English. Learn in small groups. Venues include Eastbourne. Eligible residents can study for free. Provided by East Sussex College. Call 030 300 39063 or email: adultME@escg.ac.uk
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). Range of study options available and venues including Eastbourne. Run by East Sussex College. Free to eligible residents. Find out more by calling 030 300 38434.
One to one support tailored to individual needs- For more information please call
01323 464560 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Courses for parents and families
Have a look at GRH training for some more family courses across the County.
Sussex Recovery College provide free course for adults with mental health related challenges and their supporters (relatives and carers) in Sussex.
IT and other
Study at a local library. Courses include functional Maths, English and ICT as well as European Computer Driving Licence levels 1 and 2. Eligible residents can study for free. Email: email@example.com
- East Sussex College is committed to helping local communities, across Wealden, recover from the Covid-19 crisis. Start a new career or level up your existing skills with free, online courses including Understanding Safeguarding & Prevent, Understanding Behaviour that Challenges and Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties. Find out more
- East Sussex Library Service have now launched IT for You 1 to1’s at Eastbourne, Hailsham, Crowborough and Uckfield (as well as at other venues in East Sussex). These sessions provide residents with IT/computer support on a one to one basis. Find out more information here.
- East Sussex College Group has pledged £1million to help people in Sussex improve their skills following the Coronavirus pandemic. The college group will invest £1million of adult education funding over the next 12 months to specifically help local communities and businesses recover from the Covid-19 crisis by delivering free courses and qualifications to local businesses, employees and job seekers. View further information on these
Funded Online Courses.
- Sussex Community Development Association are looking for befriending volunteers to keep in contact with someone who is lonely or isolated in Hailsham or surrounding areas. Can you give a couple of hours per week to help? Call 01323 440548 or 07341 563649 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seeds and Weeds Community Allotment, Hailsham. Do you want to grow your own vegetables but don’t have your own space or knowledge? To get involved or find out more call 01323 440548 or email: email@example.com families welcome.
- Volunteering Opportunities. Allotment Leaders for Seeds and Weeds Community Allotment, Hailsham. Tuesdays and/or Thursdays 10am to 12pm. Call 01323 440548 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org