Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Council Tax Discounts

Council Tax Discretionary Energy Rebate

Latest Update December 2022.

Discretionary Rebate

The discretionary scheme is now closed.

This is a limited fund of £327,000, allowing us to make a maximum of 2,180 payments at £150.00 each.  The scheme will close to applications on 28th November 2022 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever is sooner.


A household who is liable for Council Tax and lives in a Council Tax Band E to H property OR the household is not liable for Council Tax and resides in a Council Tax Band A to D property but is responsible for energy costs; and

Is either

  • (a) In receipt of Universal Credit; Housing Benefit; Income Support; Council Tax Reduction; Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance; Working Tax Credit or Pension Credit; or
  • (b) Is not on those benefits but has a net weekly income of less than £257 for a single person or £384.63 for a couple and has capital of no more than £6,000; and
  • (c) Was resident in the property they are applying for on 1 April 2022.

Applications are made online through our portal https://wealden.grantapproval.co.uk/

Please allow ten working days for your application to be assessed before contacting us.

Council Tax Energy Rebate

The online application process in now closed.

Where applications have not been made and where we believe the household is eligible we will be crediting the £150.00 directly to Council Tax accounts (as per government guidance).  You will receive a Council Tax notice if we have credited it to your account.

All rebates must be paid by 30th September 2022 – we are not able to make any payments after this date.


Only occupied dwellings banded A – D will be eligible for the rebate. The dwelling must be a sole or main residence and occupied on the qualifying date of 1 April 2022. Empty and second homes will not be eligible. Other qualifying criteria will apply.

Who is not eligible

Properties that on the 1st April 2022 are either unoccupied, do not have a permanent resident or a second home will not be eligible for the rebate.


We have made as many automatic payments as we have been able to.

If we are unable to make payments directly and where applications aren’t made, as per government guidelines we can now credit payments directly to the Council tax account.

  • Please note you can only receive one payment per household.
  • Any rebate correctly claimed will not need to be repaid.

Further information

Council Tax Discounts

There are a number of Council Tax discounts that may be available for Council Tax. 

If you are eligible and receive a discount and your circumstances change, you must notify the Council Tax department within 21 days of the change.  If you fail to tell us about the change, you may be liable for a penalty. 

There are various discounts that can reduce the Council Tax you have to pay and are separate from Council Tax Benefit/Support.

The Council Tax charge is based on two or more adults living in the property. If only one adult lives in a property as their main home, there is a reduction of one quarter (25%).  For substantially unfurnished second or long term empty homes and properties that are furnished second homes there is no discount.

If you don’t live alone you could still claim a discount if the other adults are not counted for council tax when we calculate the bill, we would call this a “disregard discount”. Further information on disregard discount categories can be found below.

If you think you should be entitled to a discount you can complete our online single person discount form .

If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must tell the Council of any change in circumstances which affects your entitlement.

Disabled relief is available to council taxpayers if their property contains a special feature, such as an extra room or space to use a wheelchair, or bathroom which is for a disabled person (adult or child) who lives in their home. The relief will be allowed by treating the property as if it were in the next lower valuation band. If your property has already been placed in a lower band this will be indicated on your bill. If you think you may be entitled to disabled relief reduction you should contact the Council Tax team.
Where child benefit remains payable for a time after a young person becomes 18 they will be disregarded for discount purposes until entitlement to child benefit ceases.  (If the young person is also a school or college leaver, disregard may continue under the above category until 1st November).

A student is a person (of any age) enrolled in a full-time course of further education at a prescribed educational establishment or a person under the age of 20 enrolled in certain qualifying courses defined in Council Tax regulations. A full-time course must last for at least a year and require minimum periods of study.

A student nurse is a person following a course leading to registration under the Nurses, Midwives, and Health Visitors Act 1979.

An apprentice is someone, regardless of age, employed for the purpose of learning a trade or profession, who is paid less than £195 per week and is undertaking a training programme leading to an accredited qualification.

A YT trainee is a person aged under 25 who is undertaking an approved training scheme recognised by the Department of Work & Pensions (DWS) .

Providing care for a person living in the same household who receives certain specified state benefits but who is not a spouse or a dependant child of the carer.
People who have their main place of residence in a National Health Service hospital.  This does not include temporary hospital stay.
People who are temporarily resident in a hostel for the homeless.
A member of a religious community where the principal occupation is prayer, contemplation, education or the relief of suffering.
A person not a British Citizen, who is the spouse or dependant of a student and is not permitted to work or obtain benefits.
A person living in a residential care home, nursing home, mental nursing home or hostel who is receiving care or treatment in the home.
A person who is detained by order of a court, whether they are in prison, hospital or any other place.  This does not include a person who is in police custody, until they are remanded in custody by a court.

Providing care through a connection with a local authority or a charity for at  least 24 hours per week for pay of £44 a week or less and living at or near where the care is provided.

Permanent impairment of intelligence and social functioning (certified by a doctor) and in receipt of specified state benefits.
A member or dependant of a member, of a visiting force from a nation included under the Visiting Forces Act 1952.