The Allocations Policy is a complex document. This ‘Key Facts’ document seeks to give the basic principles in plain English.
However, you are urged to read the document for greater detail on how the policy works, as ‘Key Facts’ presents a very brief overview and does not explain all the rules.
- To be able to join the register you must generally be a UK citizen, or have a qualifying leave to remain.
- Having a criminal record, a history of anti-social behaviour, rent arrears, debt to the Council, or income in excess of the listed limits may mean that you are not able to join the register.
- To join the register an applicant will normally require a Local Connection to Wealden district. This will be through residence, or close family (parents, siblings or adult children).
- All applications to join the register will need to be made through the Sussex Homemove website: www.sussexhomemove.org.uk
- You will need to provide copies of documents/evidence for all members of your household who will be living with you. We will also need details of income, bank statements, local connection and, if appropriate, medical circumstances. Not providing these will mean we will not house you.
- All cases on the register are in one of four bands: Band A is the highest priority and Band D is the lowest.
- When you have been accepted on to the register your application will be made ‘Live’ and you will be able to place three bids every two weeks on suitable properties.
- It can take up to ten days for the team to decide who is nominated for a property. This is because we are manually assessing up to 40 applicants for each home. We advertised properties 907 times in the year 2021-22. We will advise the successful nominee in writing.
- Properties are allocated on banding followed by the client’s made “live” date within their band. There can be exceptions re Parish connection, community contribution and medical circumstances.
- Your Sussex Homemove account is your way of managing your ‘bids’ and the information you provide the council, so that we can better understand your housing needs. You will be sent information about how to set up the account and reset your own password when joining the list so that you can take control.