Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Transfer Incentive Scheme

Under this scheme Council tenants who give up properties which are larger than they need and move into a property of the correct size for their families needs (according to the allocations policy) may be eligible for assistance from the Council.

Transfer Cases

You may be considering moving out of your current council property and into another council or housing association property in Wealden by applying to the Council for a transfer.

If you are then under the scheme subject to eligibility, budgetary constraints and any deductions a fixed incentive payment will be paid at £1,000 per bedroom being released and £2,000 for 2 or more bedrooms.  There is an additional payment of £1,000 for those that move into Council retirement living (purpose built accommodation for people over 60 years of age).

If the property being moved from is a one bedroom general needs flat and the tenant/s move into a Council owned retirement living property a payment of £1,500 will be made. If the tenant/s move into a housing association sheltered/retirement living property from a one bedroom general needs flat then a payment of £1,000 will be made.

In addition all under occupiers when transferring and leaving their current tenancy will have their removal expenses paid by Wealden District Council (up to a value of £600). If the cost of the removal exceeds £600 the shortfall will be deducted from the transfer incentive payment. The removals will be carried out by a contractor employed by the Council, on the tenant’s behalf. If the tenant/s wish to use alternative contractors or carry out their own removals, this is acceptable but no cash alternative will be offered.


Assistance under the Transfer  Incentive Scheme is subject to eligibility and exclusions do apply. Details can we found in the Revised Transfer Incentive Scheme 2018

To apply for Transfer Incentive Scheme Assistance (TIS assistance)

To apply for assistance under the scheme you must complete the online housing application form. 

In addition, you must complete the TIS application form before a move takes place, otherwise assistance under the scheme will not be authorised.

then under “H” go to Housing – Transfer Incentive Scheme (TIS), (you will need to create a My Wealden account if you do not already have one).

Budgetary Constraints

All payments (either the cash payment or the removals) will be subject to a budget limit. If there are more requests for assistance than there is funding available, the Council will:

  • Give priority to those moving from accommodation that is more urgently needed; or
  • Assist with a transfer in the new financial year.

If the funding does run out before the end of the financial tenants can still move but they will not receive any Tenant Incentive Scheme assistance.


Assistance is available for those that transfer (subject to eligibility). There is no assistance for moves to nursing home/residential care, or into owner occupation/shared ownership or into accommodation with families/friends, moves in private rented or mutual exchanges.

Who should I contact to find out more about the Transfer Incentive Scheme?

Further information can be found within the Revised Transfer Incentive Scheme 2018. Please contact your Housing Officer to discuss.   Housing – Transfer Incentive Scheme (TIS)