Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Gas Safety For Landlords

Gas Safe Register is the new hallmark for gas safety in Great Britain. From April 1st 2009, Gas Safe Register replaces the CORGI gas registration scheme as the official gas safety body.

For more information:

What are the risks?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed and maintained. Every year about 20 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning and many other suffer ill health. A gas leak may cause a fire or explosion.

What are the regulations about Gas Safety?

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994, every landlord must ensure that gas appliances, flues and pipe work that they provide for their tenant to use are maintained in a safe condition. Any appliance owned by the tenant most also be inspected.

Tenants are also required to report any defect they become aware of to their landlord and must not use any appliance that is not safe.

How do I know whether I am complying with the regulations?

  • The regulations require you to carry out an annual gas safety check on installations, appliances and flues within the rented accommodation.
  • You must keep written records of all safety checks and must make copies available to tenants at the start of any tenancy and then every year after each safety check.
  • You must ensure all of the equipment that they supply with the property is safe to use, but most importantly they must provide enough information for the safe use of all gas appliances, especially boilers.
  • If the tenant owns a gas appliance, they are responsible for its maintenance. The landlord is responsible for the maintenance of its installation pipe work.
  • If an agent manages the property, you must be clear as to who is responsible for the maintenance of gas appliances. The agreement must be put in writing.

Gas Safety Regulations are enforced by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Can I carry out the works myself?

NO – only Gas Safe registered engineers are permitted to carry out the installation and maintenance of gas appliances.

When instructing a contractor you should check the contractors Gas Safe details, ask to see their current Gas Safe Register photo ID card or check with CORGI direct.

The Gas Safe contractor will provide you with a gas safety certificate, and it must inform you of any appliances found to be unsafe.

How do I know if the boiler is at risk from spilling carbon monoxide?

Although carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas, signs that indicate incomplete combustion is occurring, resulting in the production of CO, include:

  • Yellow or orange rather than blue flames (apart from fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame)
  • Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside windows
  • Blocked air vents

What should I do if I think my appliance is spilling carbon monoxide?

  • Switch off the appliance and do not reuse until remedial action has been taken
  • Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (if you know where it is).If gas continues to escape call the 24 hour Transco Gas Emergency Free Phone Number 0800 111 999
  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room – do not sleep in it
  • Contact a Gas Safe-registered installer to make repairs

For further advice on the Gas Safety Regulations contact:

Gas Safety advice

Gas Safe Register