Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Business Continuity

Business continuity is about ensuring your organisation can continue to function, at an agreed level, during a disruptive incident. The core types of disruption an organisation can prepare for are:

  • Loss of premises (e.g., uninhabitable due to fire damage, inaccessible as within a police cordon or due to public health restrictions)
  • Loss of ICT (e.g., software/hardware issues, telecommunications failure, or cyber-attack)
  • Loss of staff (e.g., transport disruptions, or a health pandemic)
  • Loss of supplier (e.g., going into administration, or experiencing their own internal incident)

The Business Continuity Institute (BCI) – provide guidance, training courses, events, and free webinars on all aspects of business continuity and organisational resilience. Cross-Sector Safety and Security (CSSC) – register to receive communications from the Police and Government on issues surrounding security and business resilience.

How you can help

You can volunteer to help your community. The voluntary sector is a great source of help to the council and the emergency services during an emergency. You can become a volunteer to help improve community resilience. There are many organisations which you can join including:

  • British Red Cross
  • Community Reserve Volunteers – You can sign up to help if an emergency happens in your area. You will help with tasks such as preparing kit and equipment, sorting and handing out supplies and making refreshments
  • Emergency Response Volunteers – If you sign up, you will work alongside the emergency services to provide practical and emotional support to help people when they need it most
  • Salvation Army
  • St John’s Ambulance
  • Royal Voluntary Service

Communities can also prepare their own emergency plans. East Sussex County Council provide advice on how to do this.