Land Charges Search

Since 31 March 2019, the Council no longer accepts payment by cheque for land charges searches. Our preferred method of payment is online by debit/credit card. Further details regarding how to pay are in the what does it cost section below.

We are committed to ensure your property transaction is dealt with efficiently and smoothly. To achieve this we request solicitors, agents and the public submit local land charges search requests as early as possible with the required information including the correct postal code of the property, a clear and accurate search plan and the correct fee.

A full Local Land Charge Search known as an Official Certificate of Search comprises a LLC1 form plus CON29 Part 1 Enquiries form.

The search reveals the relevant history belonging to a parcel of land. This includes:

  • Planning Applications (back to 1948)
  • Agreements (if applicable)
  • Article 4 Directions (if applicable)
  • Tree Preservation Orders (if applicable)
  • Enforcement Notices (if applicable)
  • Building Control Applications (from 1st July 2002 onwards)
  • Basic Highway replies (ie. is my property on an adopted road)
  • Environmental Health information
  • Public Rights of Way

When submitting a search, please specify precisely what is to be searched, for example a shop and flat. You are also required to submit a plan which identifies the search area clearly outlined in red with road names. The address on the forms and plan must match.

There are eighteen pre-set additional questions, which make up Part 2 of the CON29. These questions relate to information regarding footpaths, nearby road schemes, common land etc.

It is also possible to ask your own questions. These are known as Part 3 questions, which are in addition to Part 2.

Typical Part 3 questions that are asked often relate to planning enquiries on adjacent/nearby land or properties.

Each extra question incurs an additional fee.

A full residential search costs £127 inc VAT. See our current fees for further information.

Our preferred method of payment is online by debit/credit card. 

The most popular request is for a full search which is the LLC1 and CON29 combined. To request an official search use our online form

You will need a site plan identifying the land your request relates to before you begin. 

You can also use NLIS to request your search using any of the three NLIS Channels.

The NLIS website  provides further information regarding this service.

A personal search is a search of the Local Land Charges Register only. This includes all Planning Applications approved with conditions from 1st August 1977, and all registrations that are linked to the land in the Local Land Charges Register.

Information that is not provided as part of the Personal Search is available from the relevant departments:

Fees may be payable for the above information.

Note: No Part 2 or additional questions can be answered on a personal search. The results of the personal search are not provided in writing and we respectfully remind personal searchers that it is their responsibility to interpret the Local Land Charges registrations and any further enquiries should not be addressed to staff in the Local Land Charges section.

To carry out a personal search please contact Land Charges on 01892 602221 to book an appointment slot.

Following your booking you will then need to email a plan to clearly showing the area to be searched. This plan is required in plenty of time prior to the appointment slot to enable the section to gather the relevant information.

From July 2016 new questions have been added to the CON29 form and details of how to locate the information to answer these questions can be found on the Information Schedule for Personal Search Companies with the exception of the following questions which are shown below:

Q. An enforcement notice has been revealed on my search – we’re not doing anything wrong, can it be removed?

A. No, an enforcement notice once served remains on the land unless it is quashed by a Planning Appeal Inspector or planning permission is granted for whatever the enforcement notice relates to.

Q. A Tree Preservation Order was revealed on my search – can I cut back the trees on my property?

A. Not without first gaining permission from the Council’s Arboriculturalist (permission may not be granted).

Q. How can I obtain copies of the entries revealed in my search?

A. Not all copies of entries can be obtained from Wealden District Council, please contact with the Land Charges department by emailing or the Planning Information Officer by emailing

Q. My search says my property is a listed building, what does this mean?

A. This means that the property is of special architectural or historic interest. More information can be found on our listed buildings web page.

Q. My search has revealed an Agreement, what does this mean?

A. An Agreement is a legal document and the best way of understanding what it relates to is to obtain a copy of it from the planning website (by searching for the application), and where necessary, seek legal advice.

Q. My search has revealed that the property is in a Conservation Area – what does that mean?

A. This means that there are more restrictions relating to the Conservation Area that you may have to abide by. More information can be found on our Conservation Areas web page.