Wealden District Council SFRA (2022)
Paragraph 160 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) confirms that strategic policies should be informed by a Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA) and should manage flood risk from all sources.
The Council has produced two SFRAs for the district. The first is the North Wealden Level 1 SFRA and the second is the Eastbourne & South Wealden Level 1 SFRA, on which the Council worked jointly with Eastbourne Borough Council. Both SFRAs have been reviewed and signed off by the Environment Agency and the Lead Local Flood Authority (East Sussex County Council).
Both SFRAs will be used to inform decisions on the location of future development and the preparation of sustainable policies for the long-term management of flood risk. They will also be used by applicants to inform site specific Flood Risk Assessments, in line with the requirements of the NPPF and Planning Practice Guidance on flood risk. The reports can be downloaded below:
- The North Wealden Level 1 SFRA (2022)
- The North Wealden Level 1 SFRA (2022) Appendices
- The Eastbourne and South Wealden Level 1 SFRA (2022)
- The Eastbourne and South Wealden Level 1 SFRA (2022) Appendices
Updated guidance: peak rainfall allowances have been updated in ‘Flood risk assessments: climate change allowances’.
This guidance has been prepared by the Environment Agency for use by local planning authorities and developers preparing Strategic Flood Risk Assessments (SFRAs) and site specific flood risk assessments (FRAs) respectively. It details the changes made to the peak rainfall allowances, why the changes have been made and a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
CCA Peak Rainfall Update – External Briefing
The following documents, that includes various surface water management plans for local and regional areas, also forms part of the evidence base for flood risk management in Wealden District.
- Forest Row Surface Water Management Plan – January 2015
- Crowborough Surface Water Management Plan – April 2015
- Heathfield Surface Water Management Plan – April 2015
- Hailsham and Hellingly Surface Water Management Plan – June 2015
- Eastbourne/Polegate/Willingdon Surface Water Management Plan – January 2012
- Uckfield Surface Water Management Plan – June 2016
- South East River Basin Management Plan – December 2015
- East Sussex Local Flood Risk Management Strategy 2016 – 2026 – September 2016
- Cuckmere & Sussex Havens Catchment Flood Management Plan 2009